Kato Power pack trouble

Toyuko

Hello all. I am a new user to this foum however i will make a introduction post at a later date.

For now i am having a issue, i cant run trains!

I bought the starter set Kato M1 to run my trains on and of course it came with the standard power pack S.

I am having an issue with the power pack. The power pack won’t receive power from the power brick I.e the green light is not turning on. Thus I cannot run my trains…

During the first time I plugged in my power pack it worked but after the second try it did not. The Japanese style plug works in Thailand no problem. After I unplugged my transformer the first time the circuit breaker in my apartment went (I don’t think this has anything to do with the power pack?)

Thanks

AC100V is the voltage the transformer supports. I will buy a stepdown comverter to see if that will make it work. However i am afraid that ive already damaged the transformer buy pluggging it into the 220v power point.

HantuBlauLOL

Push the reset button somewhere on your powerpack, the fuse might have blown.

You should use a 220V to 100V transformer first, then connect the Kato trafo there.

• Like 1

The little red button! It's saved so amny! If only life had one!

Good luck I hope it works, I think someone else recently did the same thing and the breaker worked and saved the powerpack.

Jeff

• Like 2

I got the stepdown converter but after testing it im afraid the power pack (transformer) is toast. Looks like all have to buy a new one. Now i know the dangers of playing around with voltages haha.

It could be only the power adapter. You can check with a voltage meter if the output of the adapter has the right 16V AC voltage on it with the stepdown converter added. If not, then you can try a 12V to 16V AC or DC adapter (12V DC is recommended) with the Kato speed controller to see if at least the controller works. With so much overvoltage, you can fry not only the adapter and the controller, but the trains too.

Using a wall adapter designed for the local network that has a 12 to 16V DC output eliminates the need for the 230V to 100V converter.

I wouldn't recommend a transformer output other than 12V for Kato power packs, I'm not sure whether Japanese N gauge trains will like a long exposure to voltages above 12V. Of course you won't be running them constantly above 12V, but I still think 12V is more safe.

The best is a direct 220V to 12V adapter like kvp said, but I use a 240V to 100V stepdown converter combined with the Japanese 100V to 12V myself and that works fine as well.

Edited by Densha

Toyuko

check www.modeltrainplus.net. nariichi san had sources some universal adapters that work with the kato power pack.

jeff

I wouldn't recommend a transformer output other than 12V for Kato power packs, I'm not sure whether Japanese N gauge trains will like a long exposure to voltages above 12V. Of course you won't be running them constantly above 12V, but I still think 12V is more safe.

The best is a direct 220V to 12V adapter like kvp said, but I use a 240V to 100V stepdown converter combined with the Japanese 100V to 12V myself and that works fine as well.

For japanese N gauge, 12V is the safe limit. However the Kato packs have the 12V mark at the start of the red zone and above that the H0 range. If you use a 12V DC adapter that most european sellers ship with their Kato controllers, then you'll find that you have to turn the controller up to the top of the red zone to get the full 12V. On an unmodified original pack, the safe zone would be much lower and this could lead to accidents. On the other hand using a Kato pack for N scale with a top voltage of 12V is much safer.

On the other hand, i would always recommend to use a locally bought low voltage adapter over a 230V to 100V converter. Just make sure the current rating is the same. (the amount of ampers on the output)

The little red button! It's saved so amny! If only life had one!

Good luck I hope it works, I think someone else recently did the same thing and the breaker worked and saved the powerpack.

Jeff

Ahah ~ I think that would be me ~  :)

I got the stepdown converter but after testing it im afraid the power pack (transformer) is toast. Looks like all have to buy a new one. Now i know the dangers of playing around with voltages haha.

Sorry to hear about this... Mine was a little luckier, I pressed the red button and it worked again. Singapore here also uses 220V, which is why my preference of Tomix system over Kato's prevailed. However, I recently found out that the DU202 controller that I lugged back from Japan also uses 110V... Darn...   

Ahah ~ I think that would be me ~  :)

Sorry to hear about this... Mine was a little luckier, I pressed the red button and it worked again. Singapore here also uses 220V, which is why my preference of Tomix system over Kato's prevailed. However, I recently found out that the DU202 controller that I lugged back from Japan also uses 110V... Darn...   

Will Tomix system plug fit into Kato Unitrack system?

If you are talking about the track power feeder, then the answer is no. Tomix uses plugs that go under the rails, while Kato uses dedicated feeder tracks and rail joiners with wires. However it's possible to mix the two systems by cutting the track feeder cables in half and joining half of a Tomix cable with half of a Kato cable. (this way you can convert from one system to the other in both ways)

If you are talking about the power input plug that is on the end of the cable that comes from the wall adapter, then the answer is a big no and you should never mix them up, since on of them is AC and the other is DC. Also, if a mains power cable has any damage on it, then replace it immediately.