What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Tony Galiani

Received my small order of Miniature-A building kits via the proxy service of CD Japan.  My first time using a proxy service.

I placed the order on July 5th, it was shipped on July 13th and I received it today.  So eight days in total.  It likely would have made more sense to order more items to take advantage of the shipping charge but I was unsure about the kits and the service so just ordered four.  I am currently struggling with a Sankei kit but will give one of these a try soon.

Packing as typically good as you would expect from Japan - each kit was individually wrapped in bubble wrap and then paper padding filling up the entire package which was a small sturdy cardboard box.

I will post pics once I get one built.

Ciao,

Tony

IMG_0108.jpeg

IMG_0107.jpeg

• Like 13

Ha I did the same after reading your post. Mine due here later this week.

jeff

• Like 1

Ha look what just showed up! Mine was also ordered on July 5th.

looking forward to building some to see how they compare to sankei. Good hot weather activity…

jeff

IMG_0788.jpeg

• Like 12

I've ordered some of these using a family connection in Japan but due to a mail delivery issue I'll still be waiting a few weeks! Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Had a nice surprise coming home to find my MA Shiki 801 had arrived. For Ami, that’s excellent, paid for on Tuesday and received on Friday. Kyushu always takes 2 days compared with most of the rest of Japan. Us and Hokkaido usually an extra day and Okinawa an extra 4. 

Anywho, rather than go on about the nuances of courier services, here it is. I ordered the transformer load to go with it. It comes in a considerably empty bookcase file although MA have allowed room to store a loco or a couple of Yo 8000s. Also spaces for loose load, or load attached to bridge. 

IMG_3871.thumb.jpeg.e5456b573e1097a9b7237419bbb477d7.jpeg

The bogies themselves are diecast, so heavy and stick to the track. The loading bridge is plastic and sits atop of a lug on each bogie, resting only, not fixed. There is a wealth of parts and instructions. It looks like there is additional parts to add for tighter corners, 280mm radius is stated as a minimum but not sure why you’d want a wagon like this if you have a tight, winding layout. 

IMG_3859.thumb.jpeg.393d1abc642c469660cf7c1d7686b4ac.jpeg

What instantly grabbed my attention is the printing. The new NX logo is crisp but even overhead wire warning marks are stunningly represented (These things come as stickers for Kato HO)

Also, Tomix take note, black wheels!!!

There are some lovely details such as the white brake wheels and shafts giving a great sense of realism. 

IMG_3868.thumb.jpeg.c4c07a528f0062605da039762fd539f3.jpeg

IMG_3860.thumb.jpeg.842238414f36392c535ec9be000cc26f.jpeg

If it hasn’t come across yet, I am incredibly impressed with this model.

As you’d expect, it comes fitted with Arnold couplers but looks like the housing comes off with 2 screws. I will fit a close knuckle to increase the added realism. 

What a thing! I did struggle fitting it in frame so had to crop a lot. 

IMG_3863.thumb.jpeg.996f6bb9dc79a1a1a2aa3dc95f447830.jpeg

The transformer load is also painted, so looks fine without adding anything. I will probably find some reference material and make it look more realistic, even some very light weathering if nothing else. I have heard these loads have sold out in many places , although the Shiki still has some availability, so glad I ordered together. For the sake of ¥1700 it really was a no brainer. 

IMG_3869.thumb.jpeg.9108a2545d385bc2d5a8577d54c5faeb.jpeg

The load fits in to place with some plastic pins. 

You can see how it compares with the Tomix Shiki 1000, loaded and unloaded. 

IMG_3866.thumb.jpeg.5fd78129dfb71a66ba57d924601a108c.jpeg

IMG_3867.thumb.jpeg.959e27f6ef3cd315208cca714392db38.jpeg

Right, I’m off to test its turning ability and to see if I need to fit these alternative parts. From what I can tell, the turning guides may need to be fitted when using with the load.  MA have given a number of spares in case anything goes walkabout so they really have thought about the customer experience as parts are incredibly small . 

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
disturbman
3 hours ago, Kamome said:

What instantly grabbed my attention is the printing. The new NX logo is crisp but even overhead wire warning marks are stunningly represented (These things come as stickers for Kato HO)

Recent-ish MA releases have been pretty good on that part. Same for their liveries that have been quite rich and with profound colors.

• Like 3

Ooh that does look nice! Bit crisper and better details and a much nicer transformer than on my old ma Shiki 810, 800 and 600s. They dropped the yo 8000s, but maybe not be used anymore. Bummer I missed the transformer alone, looks like it would work with the old 800.

jeff

8 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Bummer I missed the transformer alone, looks like it would work with the old 800.

Yeah unfortunately, these loads have sold out pretty much everywhere online so hopefully MA will see fit to reissue them. The wagon is still available so there’ll be many purchasers wanting loads for theirs. 

For the price point , I only expected some plain moulded plastic, but a semi painted load is nice even without adding anything to it. It does make the Tomix transformer loads look a bit shameful though so may need to look for a better option in future. 

beakaboy

A nice surprise awaited me at a recent local hobby show. I wasn't expecting much in the way of secondhand railway items. The local model railway club had a secondhand Kato Soundbox for sale with 3 sound cards for $50. It had come with an N scale layout they had acquired. I was quite happy to hand over $50, but had to grab some cash from a nearby ATM. The gent selling it then mentioned it could be mine for $40. Excellent news! When I returned he lifts up a plastic bin from under the table with extra speakers, amp, train throttle, and a computer power supply converted to run everything. Bonus! took me a bit of reading and research to understand everything and get it working on the home layout, but the sound is awesome through the extra speakers. feels like a real loco is in my shed and when testing it the computer power supply fan vibrates slightly and creates an effect through the wooden floor , if you are near it, which gives the sensation of standing in the cab of a loco. I am now on the hunt for more sound cards. 

20240717_215709.jpg

20240717_215805.2.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, beakaboy said:

A nice surprise awaited me at a recent local hobby show.

Awesome!  Isn't it great when you can find a deal like this.

• Like 2

Unbelievable bargain (and was that NZ$)!  I bought a soundbox from RGR in Japan and was a bit more expensive than that!!  I have yet to fine tune my skills using it but it is a fun addition to the collection.  Enjoy!!!

Graeme

• Like 1
beakaboy

$NZ's Graeme. I suspect the club  were struggling to get it operating correctly as the club member  mentioned quite a  lag in response from loco. Its taken a bit of fiddling , but I now can sync sound and loco quite well now. You want diesels to rev up  before moving , due to weight behind them , as they do in real life. The chuff on steam locos is a very narrow movement on the sync and i missed it initially and loco would move without it. 

• Like 1

A few items showed up today from RG-ROKKO a few TOMIX Koki without containers and some of my favorite Yamato containers and Koki. I also received a decoder from dRM for my EH200 which I'm looking forward to installing, In the box was a Casco 11-car bookcase for the new Koki that I received. Last but not least an Aru Nine A1045 Steam Engine which I've almost completed per the pic. For the decoder-holicics in the room there should be ample room for the smallest decoder to fit, 

20240722_203656.jpg

20240722_175302.jpg

20240722_175227.jpg

• Like 12
Kingmeow

For the steam engine, are the parts glued?  (Or soldered from the inside?)  Flawless assembly!  👍

Actually, it all comes on a brass sheet and you cut out the frame in one piece and fold on the lines. The flawlessness had nothing to to with me lol. There are individual parts like the brass overhang and the roof and parts of the cab, Thanks.

Arunine kits are quite nice and go together very easily with little soldering or gluing needed (except for details). They also are  a great value and many are designed to fit onto Kato pocket train power units.

jeff

• Like 3
Kingmeow

Thanks!  May have to pick one up in person in Japan the next time I'm there.  Nice side kit.

@Kingmeow Most of the assembly is tab into slot. You could solder the tab into the slot or glue it in. There are screws that go into the frame to keep the boiler and frame attached. They are nice little kits to put together. 

• Like 1
tripel7

Someone had a bonnet nose Tomix 485 for sale for 155$, I felt a bit cheeky and offered 130$, I'm now the owner of Tomix 485😏

Tony Galiani

My order from Suruga-Ya arrived yesterday.  My Shikoku Shinkansen and some other bits and pieces including some Shikoku buses and scenery items.  The stone wall from TGW was a slight mistake - turns out it is 1/80 scale - but it was cheap enough - only a few dollars and maybe I can use it as paving for a garden scene or something similar.

This is likely to be the only Shinkansen set I buy!  And now I guess I must go to Shikoku - usually I buy trains after I have ridden them though this seemed like a fun purchase and maybe I can ride it on a future trip.

Ciao,

Tony

IMG_0114.jpeg

• Like 6

May or may not be of interest but frequenting my local Seria ¥100 store today, I found these 1/150 figures. They only had  army men at present but I wonder if they also produce other options. Worth keeping an eye on and if you don’t mind painting, could be a low cost way to fill in some crowds if they produce standing or seated figures. The moulding isn’t the best but some of the painted Tomix can also be questionable. 

The accessories are a field stretcher, oil barrel, ammo crate and what I think is supposed to be sandbags but looks like a blob along with figure bases. 

IMG_3900.jpeg

• Like 2
Kingmeow

What I have done in the past is cut off the armaments or things around the belt (might be hard for the guy with the rifle) and repaint them to civilian colors and use them that way.  On some you can even try to cut off arms and legs and reposition for a better pose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
katoftw
On 7/23/2024 at 12:39 PM, bc6 said:

A few items showed up today from RG-ROKKO a few TOMIX Koki without containers and some of my favorite Yamato containers and Koki. I also received a decoder from dRM for my EH200 which I'm looking forward to installing, In the box was a Casco 11-car bookcase for the new Koki that I received. Last but not least an Aru Nine A1045 Steam Engine which I've almost completed per the pic. For the decoder-holicics in the room there should be ample room for the smallest decoder to fit, 

20240722_203656.jpg

That little brass loco is nice.

• Like 1