What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

On 5/26/2024 at 9:58 PM, N-Osoi said:

I found the same with mine 😎 - post about it if you work out a fix!

Just to follow up.  The Friday night gang, after looking at the 3 LEDs on the circuit board and the body, suggested a 2 step process:

1: either paint the sides of each LED black or use black electricians tape around each to control light coming from the side; and

2: use a clear amber colouring on each LED to dim and change the character of the light output.

Of course I'm away so won't be able to check if these work till I'm back.  Will post any updates once I try these.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, chadbag said:

man after my own heart.  You can never have too many JR103 and the Greenmax are really nice renditions of it in terms of how they look on a layout.

Youre so right I have no idea where I got this itch for the JR103 I may get some Green ones too lol. I can't wait to use your post on how to DCC a GM powered bogie.

• Like 1
SL58654号

image.thumb.png.df12faf79f26d68b731ab19045c40762.png   
I obtained yet another Japanese language book for steam fans recently.
Got it at a cheap price and in great condition. It comes in a slipcase. 
This focuses on North American and Danish and Swedish steam locomotives. 

• Like 3
tripel7
On 5/26/2024 at 5:58 AM, tripel7 said:

A bunch of 1:150 Toyota Hiaces, and Kato V3. Technically I didn't buy it nor do I own it yet, but my friend currently on vacation in Japan did buy them for me. 

And today I got my stuff from her:

20240606_174823.jpg

• Like 5
ED75-775

A quick update tonight while I repack en route to Hiroshima tomorrow:

image.thumb.jpg.38fd61365fb04c6105de459dbce0bbd6.jpg

@Tony Galiani asked what KiHa’s I scored here in Nagoya, and here they are: the Micro Ace A2280 KiHa 42500 and A2288 KiHa 07-200 sets! Plus there’s some other miscellaneous bits and pieces of rolling stock and other bits here, plus a KoKi 200 that I forgot to whip out. The white gloves will be good for handling trains, or dressing as a railway worker.

image.thumb.jpg.9260fbe339b6adaa64134f8252eacb03.jpg

“Knowledge is the measure of all things.” Or so a character in a favourite video game says. I also have this assortment of books, the majority of them new. The 2014 tram yearbook obviously is not, and the KATO Unitrack book is from 1998 so definitely not new! For only ¥200 it’s not a bad little thought-provoker, age aside.

Alastair

• Like 8
Junech

I also need to get that Micro Ace A2288 for myself since they were at Tarumi Line...

But I can add the Micro Ace A8638 and some magazines for background info to my collection since it just came in.

IMG_20240605_134508.jpg

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Kingmeow said:

Socks????  🙄  😎

Surely they match the livery of something!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Tony Galiani

Once again I failed to resist temptation and ended up with this Kato 701-0 series in Akita Line colors.  We had ridden one of these on the Ou line, twice actually - Hirosaki to Shin Aomori and Aomori to Shin Aomori.  So I now have the 751 and 701 Series as I work on my JR East collection.

The packing was really good - I couldn't find a seam and had to use a craft knife to open it.  Impressed with the package and the service - it is too easy to buy from Japan!

Ciao,

Tony

IMG_0103.jpeg

IMG_0104.jpeg

• Like 9
cteno4

“The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful.”

― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

or he put it more simply,

“The only thing I can't resist is temptation.”

― Oscar Wilde

Cheers, 

jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 8:05 PM, RS18U said:

My wife sent me a note that a package from a hobby shop in Osaka Japan had arrived.  I think it's for something I pre-ordered from Plaza Japan that shipped May 28th.  Of course I'm on the road, this time in Atlanta, so won't see what it is till I'm back on Saturday.  I'll post photos then.  7 days is pretty amazing!

Finally got home to see what arrived.  Not disappointed!

Like the Tomix 120-300 Geibi Line Hiroshima Carp scheme I got earlier, this also has ties to friends in Japan, this time in Abashiri.  And we rode a similar train in 2018 from Kushiro - Chitose so is easy to relate to.

Kato 10-1894 Series KIHA283 Okhotsk_Taisetsu Asahikawa_Abashiri 1.jpg

Kato 10-1894 Series KIHA283 Okhotsk_Taisetsu Asahikawa_Abashiri 2.jpg

Edited by RS18U
  • Like 6
SL58654号

Today I walked into Nikkyosha hobby store and noticed that they stocked their shelves with new items again.
So I dispensed with some of my "pocket money" and bought this beautiful new and blue EF58 150 (3049-9) as it's a special edition KATO model based on the EL kept at Kyoto. Knowing full well that I want to visit that museum someday, and seeing as this model was unique, I went for it.
I'm always a fan of older JNR electrics and this is my first EF58. Later I might get the new coach set (10-1893) to complement it.

602d8a05-c043-4ede-a24a-bbb48e98e711.thumb.jpeg.35ce9feaa002f3eea816e857760d5bd8.jpeg

1dc19887-ad18-4223-93c1-5742236fc8e5.thumb.jpeg.2dc59b4ea184190dec6879b3a5d0bc8e.jpeg2244b61a-9ce7-43c2-bf75-e23b8cd4346b.thumb.jpeg.fa88676f5bda00a71ebe18a29c951748.jpeg

Also, considering how helpful and ind they've been to me, I offered to display their logo (they had plenty to spare) with my layout when it's finally time to exhibit it with 肥薩線again. After all, we both love the SL Hitoyoshi. 

6f61b58a-fc41-4d95-aff2-cb85417d0812.thumb.jpeg.c06dd92b89f6a0ed110229e0209d09c4.jpeg
I hope my layout will interest new model railroaders young and old, and that they will turn to the store of Mr. and Mrs. Nikkyosha to buy their starter sets. The best hobby store in all of Kumamoto Prefecture! 

• Like 11
Tony Galiani

@bc6 - One thing that puzzles me about the Kato 701 series is the interior color of the seats.  It is a pretty vivid blue and I do not recall that from my rides on them.  I plan to do some research and possibly paint the seats a more subdued color - if what passes for my memory turns out to be correct.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1

@Tony Galiani From my online research the seats appear to be a greenish blue but like you said the Kato is a bit too blue

• Like 1
SwallowAngel
Posted (edited)

@SL58654号 I got the exact combo you mentioned a couple of days ago lol. I am quite happy with my EF58-150, looks great and just like I remembered it when I visited Umekouji

I do need to make a post here again though, I was too lazy to the couple of items I received individually, guess I'll get back to snapping pics and typing 😛

Edited by SwallowAngel
  • Like 1
SL58654号
Posted (edited)

Two sound cards are better than one. Today the postman brought me the one on the left. Can you guess what they're for?

b9fa821b-434d-4095-9041-0e39b9792c68.thumb.jpeg.7badf3a7c3c8401971dd542e6d5045e7.jpeg

Later, I might get the C11 and the C12/C56 sound cards, respectively. I might finally attain the Sound Box itself by next month, when the layout will hopefully be ready to roll into the public sphere! 

Edited by SL58654号
  • Like 3
ED75-775
Posted (edited)

Hiroshima may not be model-shop country, but I’m still picking up little bits and pieces here and there! Proof of said feat:

image.thumb.jpg.e5cb8c69cd85df3d075ae016e88b85d3.jpg

A stop at Popondetta Hiroshima yesterday netted seven wagons: the Micro Ace A3051 WaMu 70000 and A3062 Re 6000 box wagons, and a Kawai Shokai KP-188 set of three ToRa 35000 gondolas which Hobbysearch tells me were produced in 2004 which is scarily long ago, though the tooling looks pretty good for its age.

image.thumb.jpg.fa2762bf8b386baaff12105416365b39.jpg

What isn’t as good, and pardon the mildly lousy grab shot, is that the ToRa’s and WaMu’s have been given a coat of weathering which, while almost tasteful enough, doesn’t do anything for me. A bit of scrubbing with a damp cotton bud confirmed this stuff can be got off, but I’ll need a better method to completely remove it. @Kamome you’re our resident weathering expert, what would you recommend?

The Tomix KoKi case on the other hand came from Fujiwara Models just north of Hiroshima Station. The owner’s an obliging chap, plus he’s got a translator to talk to customers and takes credit cards - I paid cash though.

I’m glad to have this case now as it’s one I’ve wanted for a little bit but it’s currently not in production, and I hadn’t seen it anywhere else for sale either, suggesting they were moderately popular during their last run. And at ¥2178 instead of ¥2640 RRP, it’s not a bad price either!

I’m not expecting to accumulate too much more during my nearly-week in Hakata from Tuesday. Of course I might stand to be corrected, especially with a trip to Nikkyosha Models in Kumamoto coming up…

Alastair

Edited by ED75-775
  • Like 6

Thanks for the compliment @ED75-775 but I’m definitely not an expert, more a try and produce an acceptable level of weathering without screwing it up too much.

As for removal, it would greatly depend on what’s been used.

If just weathering powders without any carrier or topcoat, some water and cotton swabs may do the trick. 

Enamel based products are the least durable and can be removed with enamel thinners which shouldn’t damage paint or decals underneath as long as you’re not too aggressive with any scrubbing. 

IPA may have to be used if they’ve used an acrylic paint. Just need to make light passes and maybe a cocktail stick to get stuff out of recessed lines. 

Kato’s uni cleaner can be quite useful for cleaning grease and finger prints off of stock and if something like Tamiya weathering master, which leaves a waxy residue, this would help remove it. Again light passes with a damp, not soaked cotton swab as this may take off light layers of paint if done with too much pressure. Haven’t found it eats into Kato’s topcoat too much but it has done with Tomix stock a little. 

The Tamiya weathering master is quite likely as it’s readily available everywhere that sells model supplies here. I’ve definitely seen a lot of weathered stock using this stuff and I would suggest avoiding it other than to add some dust around axle boxes etc.. When starting out, i tended to use this stuff but I find it has a lot of limitations

Edited by Kamome
  • Thanks 1
ED75-775

@Kamome thanks for the tips. A little bit of water on a cotton bud did start moving a little bit of the weathering stuff so it's definitely not a straight weathering powder. I may have a gentle go with some IPA once I'm home again, I have a bottle I used to use for track cleaning until @cteno4 put me onto the non-polar contact cleaners.

lighthouse

Next stop Kitami... or Abashiri, Asahikawa...

IMG_1280.thumb.jpg.e53796332294bf96e0d20fbbe240a15b.jpg

• Like 7
On 6/9/2024 at 2:25 AM, ED75-775 said:

Fujiwara Models just north of Hiroshima Station. The owner’s an obliging chap, plus he’s got a translator to talk to customers

Good to know, thanks for this.  With my wife's relatives in Hiroshima we stop by every time we are in Japan.

@lighthouse is that top one the 10-1894?  Just wondering about the extra pieces of foam on the roofs of some of them, mine did not come with those.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Just a few things arrived today.

GREENMAX 4 Car JR103 set which I thought was a kit but it was built already.

The case that the GM set is in is a Casco 10-car bookcase.

I ordered a JR103 high window cab car and GM Couplers. 

There are more pics on my blog if you wish to see more. 

20240610_185557.jpg

20240610_233843.jpg

Edited by bc6
  • Like 4
lighthouse
3 hours ago, RS18U said:

@lighthouse is that top one the 10-1894?  Just wondering about the extra pieces of foam on the roofs of some of them, mine did not come with those.

Capture.JPG

@RS18U When you buy at Rail Gallery Rokko, the owner ship your stuff with extra pieces of foam because of security.

• Like 2