The different codes of latest shinkansens

Hi All,

Sorry for very noob standard questions. Just for adding more knowledge..

I am confused with the codes used for several new shinkansens.

In example there are E5, H5, E7, W7. I don't know if there are many more.

Can you please let me know the reason for this coding? Please explain what makes the difference.. is it the technical specifications, number of cars, etc?

Many thanks in advance for you who participated and submitted some inputs.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the answers.. :) Btw, does it represent for something else?

Though I think your answers has covered all.. XD

Cheers...

NuclearErick

The beginning was only numbers

* 0系, 100系, 200系, 300系, 400系 (Mini Shinkansen), 500系 until 1992 counting the 500系900 or Win 350 Prototype

But the JR East wanted a unique identity for their Shinkansen fleet thats why the E1系 got the E instead of 600系 in 1994

*E1系, E4系 ( Double Deck )

*E2系, E5系,E7系

*E3系, E6系 ( Mini Shinkansen )

JR Central and West maintain the numbers exept for N700系(NEW), 800系 (JR Kyushu) was already in use

So the 900系ish series is use for prototypes like 952*953系 Star21, 955系 (300x), Doctor Yellow 923系 or E954/955 Fastech and E926系 East i

like Toni said above

E = JR East

W = JR West

H = JR Hokkaido

some diferences

E7系/W7系 logo and the Formation F for East and for West formation W

E5系/H5系 logo and the red stripe Formation U for E5系/ purple stripe and Formation H for JR Hokkaido

Edited by NuclearErick
  • Like 1

The beginning was only numbers

* 0系, 100系, 200系, 300系, 400系 (Mini Shinkansen), 500系 until 1992 counting the 500系900 or Win 350 Prototype

But the JR East wanted a unique identity for their Shinkansen fleet thats why the E1系 got the E instead of 600系 in 1994

*E1系, E4系 ( Double Deck )

*E2系, E5系,E7系

*E3系, E6系 ( Mini Shinkansen )

JR Central and West maintain the numbers exept for N700系(NEW), 800系 (JR Kyushu) was already in use

So the 900系ish series is use for prototypes like 952*953系 Star21, 955系 (300x), Doctor Yellow 923系 or E954/955 Fastech and E926系 East i

like Toni said above

E = JR East

W = JR West

H = JR Hokkaido

some diferences

E7系/W7系 logo and the Formation F for East and for West formation W

E5系/H5系 logo and the red stripe Formation U for E5系/ purple stripe and Formation H for JR Hokkaido

Hi Nuclear,

Fantastic!! :) I really love it. This is more complete explanation and give me better knowledge...

Just wondering then, for next future shinkansens, we will hear things like E12, H14 or W16 maybe? and no more numbers like  400系or 800?

Many thanks.. :D

JR Central, West and Kyushu have maintained the original numbering indeed and the only reason JR West and Hokkaido use W7 and H5 is because it is a shared pool of the same type train with JR East. The Hokkaido Shinkansen is an extension of the Tohoku Shinkansen so I think they will keep using JR East numbering, but I doubt the Shinkansen south of Tokyo will use it for other new trains. I think JR Central/West/Kyushu will just number a new train in the 900 series (renumbering the prototypes and Doctor Yellow to another series) or just continue to the 1000 series. But that's all just speculative.