Tomix N700-7000/8000

GuyCS

Hi all

Thinking about taking the plunge and ordering my first Tomix set. When it comes to Kato I'm pretty clued up, but Tomix, im in the unkown so hoping you guys could give me some advice. Either going to buy the 8 car 7000, 8000 or the limited edition 8000 Kumamon/Kurochan. Personally id prefer the Kumamon/Kurochan, but while looking at close up images on google, the printing seems worse than the standard 7000/8000, can any of you guys with this model confirm this?

Also, how do Tomix shinkansens perform compared to Kato? How is the quality level? Is it around the same or is there a noticable difference?

And what are the Tomix transfers like? Are they hard to apply? And guides from you guys mabey?

Finally, and this is what has put me off Tomix in the past, the coupling system, it seems low rent compared to Kato, the all power coupling feature however is great. Is there perhaps a third party modification which can change the couplings appearance?

Sorry about all the questions, just wanted some advice from Tomix veterans :)

Thanks all,

Guy

Edited by GuyCS
Guest keio6000

Hi all

Thinking about taking the plunge and ordering my first Tomix set. When it comes to Kato I'm pretty clued up, but Tomix, im in the unkown so hoping you guys could give me some advice. Either going to buy the 8 car 7000, 8000 or the limited edition 8000 Kumamon/Kurochan. Personally id prefer the Kumamon/Kurochan, but while looking at close up images on google, the printing seems worse than the standard 7000/8000, can any of you guys with this model confirm this?

Also, how do Tomix shinkansens perform compared to Kato? How is the quality level? Is it around the same or is there a noticable difference?

And what are the Tomix transfers like? Are they hard to apply? And guides from you guys mabey?

Finally, and this is what has put me off Tomix in the past, the coupling system, it seems low rent compared to Kato, the all power coupling feature however is great. Is there perhaps a third party modification which can change the couplings appearance?

Sorry about all the questions, just wanted some advice from Tomix veterans :)

Thanks all,

Guy

i have my tomix 700-7000 92821 right here.  Other than being a shinkensen, it doesnt fit my overall collecting themes,but it's one that i picked up because i love the subtle but elegant aesthetics of many of JR Kyushu, including this one.   The cartoon version that you refer to is one of the "least bad" cartoon trains I have seen, but I am not a fan of the genre in general, so I can't comment about that.

Also, it should be said that while I have over 100 sets, I am a collector more than a runner, so take my words with a grain of salt.

The coupler system is not "low rent."  It's actually quite decent and you should not be concerned.

I am mostly a kato fan, but Tomix shinkansen, taken as a whole, are generally considered to be slightly superior to kato.

The 700-8000 is a beautiful looking trian

The transfers are not particularly hard to apply - it just takes time, accuracy, and patience.  However, i generally don't add them.   The reason is that over time fingers will rub them off if you handle the trains without exceptional care.  For shinkansen, they just don't add that much except maybe on the front windshield, wehre they are unlikely to be handled / damaged in the future, one hopes.

More to the point, IIRC kato never made a N700-7000, so Tomix is the only game in town.

i have my tomix 700-7000 92821 right here.  Other than being a shinkensen, it doesnt fit my overall collecting themes,but it's one that i picked up because i love the subtle but elegant aesthetics of many of JR Kyushu, including this one.   The cartoon version that you refer to is one of the "least bad" cartoon trains I have seen, but I am not a fan of the genre in general, so I can't comment about that.

Also, it should be said that while I have over 100 sets, I am a collector more than a runner, so take my words with a grain of salt.

The coupler system is not "low rent."  It's actually quite decent and you should not be concerned.

I am mostly a kato fan, but Tomix shinkansen, taken as a whole, are generally considered to be slightly superior to kato.

The 700-8000 is a beautiful looking trian

The transfers are not particularly hard to apply - it just takes time, accuracy, and patience.  However, i generally don't add them.   The reason is that over time fingers will rub them off if you handle the trains without exceptional care.  For shinkansen, they just don't add that much except maybe on the front windshield, wehre they are unlikely to be handled / damaged in the future, one hopes.

More to the point, IIRC kato never made a N700-7000, so Tomix is the only game in town.

Do you think Kato might produce one in the future? Have they hinted at it at any time? Just curious.

Doubtful we'll see them make one soon.  If ever.

I'm a Kato and MicroAce fan.  But when it comes to Shinkansens, you gotta go Tomix. They have many others don't make/sell.

If you don't like the Kumamon N700 version, just get the regular version.

I have most of the JR West and JR Kyushu shinkansens.  A N700 will be the next to buy for me.  I'm in no rush.  Shinkansens are anything wow to model.  And they require big spaces to model a layout.  So some of the fun factor has been lost towards shinkansens.

Edited by katoftw
NuclearErick

N700-7000系

N700-8000系

92411+92412

92981 R2

92986 R10 Rainbow Color

92925 Kumamon & Kurochan

there it is 1 more version of N700-8000系 with Harry Potter theme, but i cant find the number and it is on Pre-Order maybe was cancel i dont know

i was Kato fan because is more know worldwide, but when i find out it some shinkansens sets kato doesnt produce i had to buy from Tomix and MA, as a collector some poins from all 3 manufactores is good or bad in some cases

like it 0系 (Prototypes, Doctor Yellows, Fresh Green), E1系 New color, 100系(Fresh Green, K Revival) 300系, 400系, 500系 Kodama ( Pala-Rail, Kasenguer ) 700-7000系 Rail-Star, and N700-7000/8000系 and some Last Run and Limited editions just to name few

this is a good site for reference http://www.speedsphere.jp/Default.aspx use the translator

Edited by NuclearErick

Doubtful we'll see them make one soon.  If ever.

I'm a Kato and MicroAce fan.  But when it comes to Shinkansens, you gotta go Tomix. They have many others don't make/sell.

If you don't like the Kumamon N700 version, just get the regular version.

I have most of the JR West and JR Kyushu shinkansens.  A N700 will be the next to buy for me.  I'm in no rush.  Shinkansens are anything wow to model.  And they require big spaces to model a layout.  So some of the fun factor has been lost towards shinkansens.

No I really like the Kumamon version, but if you look on speedsphere at the close up shots, the printing is really poor when compared to the standard version.

Also, are the N700-7000/8000 Tomix HG models? whatever that means.

I have the 500-7000 Kansenger version and yes the details look like a cheap inkjet printer has printed them.  But you have to be 10-15cm away to notice it.  I don't have the Kumamon N700-7000 train, but can only guess the detailing is similar.

I think that what Guy meant by "low rent coupler system" is that Tomix uses huge body colored "diaphragms" that are meant to emulate both the wind deflectors and the actual diaphragms. However, I also agree that they look very unrealistic except on 300 Series or N700 Series. I personally find Kato's diaphragm couplers to be more realistic, considering that they allow for car end detailing and still have a prototypical coupling location.

I would suggest to find a way to look at the Tomix Kyushu Shinkansen models in the flesh, if possible, before you commit to buying one.

Ewan

I think that what Guy meant by "low rent coupler system" is that Tomix uses huge body colored "diaphragms" that are meant to emulate both the wind deflectors and the actual diaphragms. However, I also agree that they look very unrealistic except on 300 Series or N700 Series. I personally find Kato's diaphragm couplers to be more realistic, considering that they allow for car end detailing and still have a prototypical coupling location.

I would suggest to find a way to look at the Tomix Kyushu Shinkansen models in the flesh, if possible, before you commit to buying one.

Ewan

Sadly here in Cardiff there is no where that stocks Tomix, in fact even Kato rolling stock is very scarce. My local Kato stockist has a 6 year old second hand Kato 700 8 Car Set which he wants £300 for. So ordering from abroad is always going to be the case :(

Like many have mentioned, Tomix has the larger range of shinkansens over Kato, but Kato has better DCC capability and also I like the way the destination boards and vehicle numbers are already printed on the car itself. While it means the model is almost ready to run once out of the box, it does restrict some freedom as some might wish to make different consists for different prototypically correct consists. Tomix do have many different types of consist and numbers on its decal sheet so it gives maximum freedom to the owner to affix whichever he likes.

Personally, I still prefer Tomix over Kato for Shinkansen for their larger range of rolling stocks and their power coupler system. The large diaphragms do not actually bother me that much as in reality the diaphragms do look somewhat similar in real life. Kato has a much nicer diaphragm, but leaves a large gap in between cars on bends. Also, the power coupler system rocks as it provides almost seamless smooth running performance, and interior lighting in the cars are almost flicker-free due to constant current input across the cars.

I have the N700-8000 Kumamon/ Kurochan. I do like the pale blue colour of the N700, and the cartoons look good unless if you stare hard at them and you can actually see the graphics printed isn't exactly of the highest quality. I think most of the time the train is moving so that shouldn't be much of an issue there.  

Limited Express trains are a totally different story though...

Let's not move too much into the comparison of Tomix versus Kato as there are quite a number of treads regarding this.  :)

If this is the case, do you think the usage of things like decal setter - i.e. Tamiya Mark Fit strong which usually common with aircraft model kit - might help the decal last longer if we rub unintentionally? Of course, for me I will be more careful not to touch the area where the decals applied since it only take very small space to be placed..

Personally, I still prefer Tomix over Kato for Shinkansen for their larger range of rolling stocks and their power coupler system. The large diaphragms do not actually bother me that much as in reality the diaphragms do look somewhat similar in real life. Kato has a much nicer diaphragm, but leaves a large gap in between cars on bends. Also, the power coupler system rocks as it provides almost seamless smooth running performance, and interior lighting in the cars are almost flicker-free due to constant current input across the cars.

I agree with you on this opinion... in reality, tomix's quite similar with the real one.. the gap exist in Kato's diaphragm leaves a dilemma.. :)

In addition to this, I don't think I need to start a new one asking about decals..

Btw, can you guys please share any link or video about tips to apply decals on N scale trains? In my thought, it will be quite difficult to work the decal on small slotted surface, for example in the destination boards..

The only one I found which is pretty detailed and step by step is this on youtube:

Let me know if you have better sources.. :) highly appreciate your help.. Cheers.