Micro Ace Barbecue Train

Vato

Hi Everyone

I have a micro ace train set "barbecue train" and want to change rapido style couplers to close coupling

any advise?

Guest keio6000

generally speaking about microace, tomix tn couplers only. do not buy microace tn couplers.

spend the extra money and get tomix tn couplers. 

of course, check to see first if your train takes such body mount couplers.  i have no idea about your train specifically.

generally speaking about microace, tomix tn couplers only. do not buy microace tn couplers.

spend the extra money and get tomix tn couplers. 

of course, check to see first if your train takes such body mount couplers.  i have no idea about your train specifically.

Thanks Keio, will check today

MA suggested F0003 'Automatic coupler' for this set, but please do NOT get the MA couplers like Keio 6000 mentioned. Instead, flip the train around and see if you can find four mini pins, two at each side, on the end of each car. If there is, chances are you can fix Tomix 0336 tight coupler which in IMHO is the closest fitting coupler you can find. 

I looked at the pictures of the BBQ train, the 2 rear cars shouldn't be an issue so they should fit with Tomix 0336,but i'm not sure about that smaller centre car though..

• Like 2
Guest keio6000

MA suggested F0003 'Automatic coupler' for this set, but please do NOT get the MA couplers like Keio 6000 mentioned. Instead, flip the train around and see if you can find four mini pins, two at each side, on the end of each car. If there is, chances are you can fix Tomix 0336 tight coupler which in IMHO is the closest fitting coupler you can find. 

I looked at the pictures of the BBQ train, the 2 rear cars shouldn't be an issue so they should fit with Tomix 0336,but i'm not sure about that smaller centre car though..

Umm, should be,

"please, like Keio 6000 mentioned, do NOT get the MA couplers."

commas and word order matter :)

• Like 1

The problem is the middle car NAHA 29001: the couplers are bogie mounted.  The car is so short that there's none of the usual space for the body mounted couplers. I just took a quick look at mine and the Tomix TN mount would actually be in the way of the wheels.  The power contacts don't go up into the car either, so there's no easy way of lighting the middle car.

You might probably be able to get away with something like this http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10231406

Edited by VJM

The Naha29 is a modified freight car. The underframe and bogies are actually the same as the freight car version. In this case the next option after fully swapping the bogies is to install body mounted couplers from microtrains, but that will severly increase the minimal curve radius of the set. A more simple hack would be to keep the rapidos but reduce the coupler length on the motor units. You might have to remove the skirts around the couplers to leave space for the rapido of the barbecue car, but it's a relatively easy swap and the set keeps it's curve going capability.

ps: The same short couplers that are in the barbecue car should go into the holders of the power cars, so getting two, removing the skirts, swapping the couplers should result in a close coupled set and all modifications are reversable if you don't like it. (it might happen that the skirts will also fit, but i'm not sure)

Umm, should be,

"please, like Keio 6000 mentioned, do NOT get the MA couplers."

commas and word order matter :)

I was sort of like, "whoa" when I read that.

My isaburo-Shinpei Kiha 40s have Tomix close couplers on them.  Makes the car shells nice and close.

Also don't confuse tight and close.  Tight refers to the locking mech of the coupler.  Close refer to the distance it creates between cars.