interesting supplement to crossing gates

miyakoji

Looks like a win-win-win:

- Idiots who ignore the signal damage their cars

- Improved safety for the train

- More work for the local body shop

Can't believe the drivers who almost run the guy over - do you know what country this is?

I'm surprised that the gate doesn't block the whole road in the first place.

Amazing how stupid some can be. Where was it from?

Should call them idiot blockers!

Just yesterday I pulled over on a two lane road with two fire trucks and and an ambulance coming toward me fast with lights and sirens going. Two cars behind me passed me into the lane of the oncoming emergency vehicles causing them to stop abruptly and blare their horn. Should have jotted down the plate numbers and phoned them into the firehouse, I could see the fire folks wanting to put a fire hose off full blast on someone's paint job later!

Jeff

I'm not sure what country this is.  The description on the YT page might be Romanian, but in the upper left of the video, it looks like Cyrillic alphabet.

Wonderful idea! Should be implemented at all railway crossings.

We do not have any railway crossings here, but can i ask why drivers would risk dashing across the red light at the crossing? Yes you save a couple of minutes from dashing across and no need to wait for the crossing but if you get hit by a running train it is no joke...

• Like 1

Wonderful idea! Should be implemented at all railway crossings.

We do not have any railway crossings here, but can i ask why drivers would risk dashing across the red light at the crossing? Yes you save a couple of minutes from dashing across and no need to wait for the crossing but if you get hit by a running train it is no joke...

Because... some people are plain stupid? In Japan it's mandatory to stop before proceeding onto a level crossing under all circumstances, but you still hear news about accidents particularly in less-built up areas - I suspect where trains are less frequent, people just aren't able to conceive that the seemingly empty stretch of track stretching away on both sides of the road will suddenly fill with a fast-moving lump of metal which will plough through your crumple zones like a tank through butter.

It looks like the video comes from two trial installations. One lane is with and the other is without a gate. It looks like the gate is needed to keep drivers from plowing into the barrier and it has to be lowered before the barrier is raised. The presence of railroad workers on an otherwise unmanned crossing also indicates that this was trial only. The results are mixed. The video indicates that the barriers are useful and effective, but also show that people won't accept them easily.

Should call them idiot blockers!

I'd say more like idiot catchers ;-)

They're similar to the barriers installed at many U.S. government sites after 9/11.

HantuBlauLOL

Can't imagine if this were implemented in my country.. I'll lost count of motorcycles forward flipped then got struck by a train in a day..

Perhaps a net could pop up to catch the flying motorcyclists!

The only real crossing we have locally here is across a busy 4 lane road and it has very fast MARC and Amtrak trains at times and slow freight at others. I am amazed at how many folks will get frustrated in line when the gates are down and drive down the wrong side of the road (passing everyone who is stopped) and stop at the crossing. You see them thinking I could get around this gate drive down the tracks a bit and continue and about then a Marc train comes thru at 50mph! That I hope put a new spot on their from seat! Not seen some one yet try to cross but about every other time the gates are down I see someone do the wrong side drive up! Luckily the gates extend almost 3 lanes so you would need to go down the tracks some if only 2 lanes I'm sure these idiots would be going for it!

Jeff