Max Model HO NT3000 DMU?

Ken Ford

I just watched a Train Cruise that featured the Nishikigawa line and its fleet of multicolored NT3000 DMUs. I see Max Model makes a kit for the NT3000 and several decal sets:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10099256

This is an unpowered model. Has anyone ever seen it, and does anyone have ideas for powering one? I'm thinking a BullAnt drive would be a good option (which would also allow 12mm or 13mm), but I'm sure there must be an indigenous drivetrain available.

Edited by Ken Ford

I have no input towards your question.  But the Nishikigawa Railway is a fav of mine.  I think the special vehicle from the Tomytec Railway Collection Volume 19 was the Sakura decal version.

And Tomix have been releasing a few models from this volume as better higher quality versions.  So you might seen Nishikigawa Railway in coming months/years.

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/92190.htm

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/report/n/nj_180.htm

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/92189.htm

It is in the dark side N scale if you wish to dare. haha

I like the Nishikigawa Railway also.  Single line running up beside a river/stream with unique DMUs.  Much like the Hisatsu Line.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8497-nishikigawa-railway-nishikigawa-seiry%C5%AB-line-jr-west-iwakuni-station-to-nishikich%C5%8D-station/

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

I watched that cab ride video from the thread you linked last night after I posted this - it's a very appealing line!  The terminal in Nishikichō makes for a nice Inglenook:

Nishikichō Station

With any luck Tomix will do the DMUs at some point in N, but the small size of Nishikichō makes HO very appealing to me - you could model all four cars with the extras hanging around the station and shops.

I would like to ask if someone chooses a small line like this, then what kind of operations are possible and how to make them interesting? Also how would you go around building the layout. (besides making a nicely sceniced roundy roundy as many people who choose a small branchline)

I would do it as a small Inglenook with a highly detailed station area and the track running off into staging. Operations would be two single car trains shuttling in and out with the other two cars on the stabling point and in the shed. You could also make and break two and even three car trains for interest. No roundy-round at all.

Puzzling through the automatic translation of the Max Model site makes me think Tenshodo Spuds are the drivetrain of choice. I think a BullAnt would be much smoother.

Well, I did it - I ordered one of the DMU kits but all four decal sets.  With my luck I'd build one car and find the decals were discontinued - of course, by doing it this way the DMU kit will probably be discontinued before I decide to buy more. ;)

I've been looking for a good self-contained subject for 12mm 1/80, this is perfect - two points and a bunch of flextrack.  Now I need to find someone who can supply me the Shinohara 12mm track.

samp_nisiki_011.jpg

samp_nisiki_side_011.jpg

Edited by Ken Ford
  • Like 1

So much for the 31 day backorder notice at HS - they already shipped!  I sent an email to Hollywood Foundry (maker of BullAnt) yesterday inquiring about their drives and also found Peco's TT flex and points are in stock at Walthers.

I found a five part series of blog posts about building a similar Max Model DMU where the builder used KTM "ACE" trucks in (I think) 16.5mm - very nicely done: http://tkk3450.blog76.fc2.com/blog-entry-503.html

I have a thing for small DMUs!

You and me both! ;)

I ordered a half dozen pieces of Peco 12mm flex and a pair of points today in support of this project.

...and it's here.  Very nice moldings, and fantastic looking decals!  I already have the sides, ends and roof off the sprues and am fitting them together.

It's going together nicely for a flat kit - the roof and sides are keyed, but the ends are butt jointed and will require a little filler and sanding to get the smooth rounded surfaces of the prototype, nothing major at all.  I wish I could find the brass sideframes Max makes for these but they are out of stock everywhere I can find them, and the Max Model website doesn't appear to have an email option.

The current state of play:

post-742-0-25850000-1427640573.jpg

I'm impressed enough that I went ahead and ordered the other three this morning - Max Model's website shows low stock and I don't want to miss out on them.  There goes the hobby budget again!

I didn't get a reply from Hollywood Foundry to my email from a week ago about BullAnt power trucks, but as it turns out I want to use one of their other products instead - their "Gozunder" trucks with a centrally located through the floor motor mount with flywheel similar to what the blogger I linked above in post 11 used.  I sent them another email this morning asking about details, hopefully they will respond and I can get the drivetrain ordered.

I've also had progress on the track front.  My local pusher was able to get me the pair of Peco 12mm points in just two days (!) but couldn't order the flextrack since there was a 25 piece minimum order.  I had to order the flex direct from Walthers, it's supposedly in stock and shipping shortly.

I'm going to start a layout build thread, I'm pretty fired up about this.  The brightly colored DMUs should be popular at shows.

post-742-0-25850000-1427640573_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I was a little concerned that these would go out of stock before I could get the other three cars but HS came through for me - I should have them by the end of the week.  Now I have all four carbodies and decal sets, I'm just waiting to hear back from Hollywood Foundry on the drives - I'll order one to start and the others as budget allows.