Container freight operations

SantaFe1970

I think I've seen Japanese hobbyshop sites (non exporting ones) that have had them pro hobby has a bunch that come with the line of container kits (mainly tank ones), but those are pretty much oop right now. There are a smattering of decal sets for full sized intermodal containers, but these are not what you see a lot of on Japanese rail.

This sort of stuff is usually in the realm of the garage shop in Japan and then usually sold thru a more limited set of hobby shops. That's the fun of visiting various Japanese hobby shops as you sometimes find some sell some very interesting and more obscure detailing bits that you don't see in other stores!

Might check with Nariichi San at www.modeltrainplus.net as he is good at sourcing some of the odd bits like this for export.

Jeff

SantaFe1970

Might check with Nariichi San at www.modeltrainplus.net as he is good at sourcing some of the odd bits like this for export.

Thanks for the tip. 

i found them on yahoo.  seems to be a person that makes them from home.  the seller takes photos of product with the cat not in the frame.  guessing trying to bypass licensing issues.  search uv51a.

SantaFe1970

the seller takes photos of product with the cat not in the frame.  guessing trying to bypass licensing issues.  

Interesting. 

I would presume that established manufacturers have attempted this licensing. Curious that nothing official is available, given the public enthusiasm for this brand.

What's your take on the accuracy of the "cats" container? The green looks a little dark, but that might just be the photo (or me). I wonder if its a specific prototype container or more of a freelance interpretation...

What's your take on the accuracy of the "cats" container? The green looks a little dark, but that might just be the photo (or me). I wonder if its a specific prototype container or more of a freelance interpretation...

Look fine to me.  Sure it ain't 100% correct.  But it even has the "do not load on koki 50000" red markings etc.

I'm probably gonna pick one up next time I do a larger Yahoo order.

Edited by katoftw

I guess it might be a case of getting hold of some inkjet water-slide decal paper.

Has anyone used this before and does it work well?  My instincts tell me water and inkjet shouldn't go together.

http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/9mmnihamaru/diary/201102080001/

Kamome,

Actually the inkjet water slide papers work very well. After printing you usually fix the ink to the decal with a coat of dull coat spray, then do the water dunking!

We did a big load of jrm containers like this and they worked great. I just wish there was an economical source of blank containers and we would do more!

The black cat are great as there is no white in the image. White is the bane of decals as it's the one color you can't print easily. You can use white decal material, but then you have to trim very carefully. Or you go onto a white background or carefully paint white patches before laying down the decal in the strategic white spots.

Jeff

Good to hear cteno

I may look into this method to produce some more realistic decals than those included with the Kato and Tomix building kits.

SantaFe1970

I'm trying to get a better sense of the different eras of JR/JRF containers. What decades/years match:

Bright green 6000 containers,
Blue JR 18D containers,

Maroon JRF 19D containers?

Bright greens, pale blues and whites were used on the JNR network. Blue and maroon are mainly post privatisation. But the change was slow, so you could see them mixed.

I model mainly modern day trains, so most of my containers are of the 12' maroon 19X variety.  And some others thrown in for good measure to create the random look.

Yes, two large reflective red circles, you can also see at the back of towed emu sets. For night runing freight, some markers have red lights in them. Proper caboose terminated trains in the past had built in red tail lights like most passenger sets, but modern trains got rid of them together with dedicated freight conductors.