Suica & Monorail

YamanoteRider95

YamanoteRider95

So, JR East released this "Suica and Monorail" product in 2011. My question is, has this product been discontinued or replaced by other offers?

Also, what is the design of the suica card? Has anyone a photo they can show me? Thanks in advance.

bikkuri bahn

The Monorail Suica card is sold in all monorail stations through the ticket machines, it has a monorail character design, as you can see in katoftw's link. It's otherwise identical to a regular suica card.

*Tokyo Monorail is owned by JR East.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

According to this site, the special foreigner-only Suica+Monorail discount package with the “unique design” souvenir Suica card was discontinued from April 1st 2014.

The card looked like this:

Original_Suica.jpg

YamanoteRider95

So is there any other design suica card that i can buy besides the Monorail Suica Card and the Penguin Suica Card?

The are many designs.  Most are specific to the locations/attractions/events they are near.  If you are ordering one before you arrive in Japan, then you will only be issued the standard green version.

YamanoteRider95

katoftw, can you give examples?: The only example i know is the Tokyo Monorail Suica Card, and i don't think that designh is that nice.

YamanoteRider95

Is it possible to buy from any Travel Service Centre, for example in Tokyo station? I;m looking for designs like the Nex Suica Card.

Toyko Station would have the "100 years Toyko Station" Suica card.  As for other designs, dunno???

Pokemon, NE'X, Rankai, Toyko Monorail, various amine versions etc.  Some are limited editions and will never been seen again.  Just gotta buy one when you see one you like.

I assume with these special cards that you just pay the 500 yen deposit and don't get it back? Or do these cards cost more because they're assuming people will be buying and keeping them?

bikkuri bahn

I assume with these special cards that you just pay the 500 yen deposit and don't get it back? Or do these cards cost more because they're assuming people will be buying and keeping them?

The standard is these are sold at 2000 yen (500 yen deposit plus 1500 yen charge), like the regular suica available from any JR East ticket machine.

A selection of past special suica- scroll down:

http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2141897493861245701

The railway museum in Omiya seems to issue them every now and then.