New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

Dillon
4 minutes ago, katoftw said:

New host and voice over lady were very poor.

Miki wasn't bad, it takes time for a new host to find his or her footing.

katoftw

There is 9 years of shows.  You'll just have to watch them all, as I dont remeber the specific episode of the 100 or so aired.

Boiler

I've been away from this forum for so long I completely missed 2 hosts of this show!

• Like 1

Just saw the show and now I get it - hadn't realized Cathy Cat had left.  Not so keen on the new host but still glad to have the show available.  Interesting to see the challenges for the conventional lines after the Shinkansen opens.  After my recent visit to Hakodate, I have been wondering what happens to Hakodate Station and the conventional route north once the Hokkaido Shinkansen is extended so I was curious to see how that transition works.

Ciao,

Tony

1 hour ago, Tony Galiani said:

After my recent visit to Hakodate, I have been wondering what happens to Hakodate Station and the conventional route north once the Hokkaido Shinkansen is extended so I was curious to see how that transition works.

I think they are closing the line between Otaru and Oshamambe.

I was not a big fan Cathy Cat either but the new person doesn't seem to be an improvement.  Really prefer the previous presenters but I guess I am living in the past.  Glad Ryo is still on the program.

Tony

On 5/15/2024 at 2:46 AM, katoftw said:

I think they are closing the line between Otaru and Oshamambe.

Nahhh, I don´t think so... 

here are my reasons why the section of the route cannot be set:

1. Alternative route to the Moruran Main Line for passenger and freight traffic in the event of unforeseen events, for example the eruption of Mt. Usu in 2001
2. Tourist traffic for skiing and hiking athletes (Kutchan and Niseko area)
3. Conversion of the route into a third sector railway line

But maybe JR has other plans too? Resumption of the SL C62 Niseko? In any case, it would then be possible again, as the arrival times for tourists would be significantly shorter than in the 1990s.

Edit: found this Informations....

On March 26th of the same year , in a tripartite meeting between the prefecture and the municipalities along the line (Otaru City and Yoichi Town), it was agreed that the continuation of the railway between Yoichi Station and Otaru Station would be abandoned, and that the railway would be abolished and replaced with buses. On March 27th of the same year , in discussions between the roadside municipalities (Otaru City, Yoichi Town, Niki Town, Kyowa Town, Kutchan Town, Niseko Town, Rankoshi Town, Kuromatsunai Town, and Oshamabe Town), the decision was made between Oshamabe Station and Otaru Station. It has been decided that the line will be discontinued and replaced with buses.

On 5/15/2024 at 12:54 AM, Tony Galiani said:

Just saw the show and now I get it - hadn't realized Cathy Cat had left.

I didn't even notice that Cathy Cat left the show. I was just wondering why this extreme moderation is no longer there and the show is moderated more calmly again. To me the people looked similar! 😂

Edited by lighthouse