HO scale Hakone Tozan models?

Ken Ford

I've had an interest in the Hakone Tozan for some time now but never picked up any equipment. Today I came across the HO scale Tomix model of the new Series 3000 cars at Modeltrainplus and just couldn't resist. I'm thinking about building a small layout depicting one of the switchbacks. Yet another project for the pile...

I found listings for sold out (and expensive) Imon MoHa1/2/3s shown on Hobby Search. Have there been other HO scale Hakone Tozan models produced?

I model in multiple scales. The majority of what I do is O and HO, about the only N I do is the Randen stuff - and I'd switch that to HO if there was any commercial support.

Edited by Ken Ford

Ken, I know that Modemo produced models of the Moha 1 & 2 series cars in HO many years ago. I have a book on the Hakone Tozan and Enoden that shows them. The book was published in 1995 so presumably the models were in production then. But that's all I know, sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

Thanks, Mark - that gives me a starting point.  This is unlikely to be an extensive project, but knowing what else is available helps immensely.

My two Type 3000s arrived today - they're gorgeous! Now, if Tomix would only do the Type 1000s and Type 2000s life would be really good.

... however, I wish they ran as well out of the box as they looked.  Very rough running, the motors seem to want to cog at low speeds.  I'll pull the driveshafts to isolate the motor from the trucks and start troubleshooting from there.

Also, I found a set of HO Type 1000s on Yahoo Auctions this morning... for the nosebleed price of $2000US.  Like *that's* going to happen for me!  I'll keep watching for a set of the Moha 2s.

• Like 1