Tomix N Guage and 220v Mains

DenshaSG

Hi everyone! I was in Japan last week and decided to pick up my first set of N Guage stuff, a Tomix NR2 starter set, Track pattern D and a couple of trains and the CL led add on parts.

Question is as I am living in Singapore where the mains is 220-240v, is it safe for me to just plug the adaptor in? I notice the adaptor says 100-240v. I am loathe to short anything considering the effort involved lugging all those stuff on the Keio line, onto the plane and back to Singapore!

Hi! Glad to see another Rail fan here in SG! Very nice!

Which power pack did you purchase? If it's the Kato, you need a step down and you cannot plug in directly to our mains. If it's the Tomix, then you're safe to do so as it comes with an adapter that takes in 110-230v. I'm guessing it's Tomix, since you mentioned Tomix NR2 starter set, though i'm not really sure what you meant by a NR2 starter set...

Hello, i am living in Germany and use the Tomix 5516 TCS Wireless Power Unit N-WL10-CL also with 220 V.

I only change the cable because the japanese connector did not works with our german Schuko socket.

Have fun with your new starter set !

Bye Meickel

Thanks all I got my set up and working! What a blast! I also put in the led lights I got into the cabins. Can't wait to do a bigger layout on the floor, now I know what I want to get for my next shipment.. More structures, a shinkansen, possibly the platform station..

• Like 3

Hey guys where do you keep all your tracks? I lay mine out on the floor and it's getting tedious putting them back in the box when I'm done. Or do you all just have a permanent place in the house for your setup?

Hey guys where do you keep all your tracks? I lay mine out on the floor and it's getting tedious putting them back in the box when I'm done. Or do you all just have a permanent place in the house for your setup?

That's the tricky part.

The thing with temporary layouts is where to keep the tracks, and also the hassle and trouble to lay and keep them all the time, not to forget the structures too when you add in the stations and such...

The thing with permanent layout is a 'permanent' space to lay your layout, usually a table. Then planning needs to be in place as to how big you want your layout, what you want to run (shinkansens, especially full consists ones, require tons of space just to make a simple loop!), which region you would like your layout to be in etc... Then comes the track planning, the procurement (probably the most fun part) and the actual building...

I went with option 2, as I really wanted a good layout I can run my train on anytime. Then another problem surface with this due to the horrible humidity in Singapore, dust. Now i'm looking at a hopefully permanent solution to the dust problem that will cause your tracks to become really dirty...

For my temporary layouts, i usually try to take them apart only so much to fit into the box i'm using to store the tracks. This means storing smaller curves in 90 degree sections, straights in length just a bit shorter than the length of the box and station turnout areas in one piece. Since i keep most of these tracks in a large LCD tv box, this means quite large track setups can be placed on top of each other. Just make sure, you keep the box stowed away with the tracks laying horizontal. (i most do this with tomix finetrack but the habit comes from lego, where you only have quarter of a car long straights, the equivalent of having only 3.5 cm straights in N)