Hokuriku Shinkansen cab view: passing stations from Nagano to Kanazawa

Sacto1985

YouTube member Tetsudo Shimbun (I believe this is a real news outlet) just posted a video with short zenmen tenbou sequences of passing stations of a trip on a W7 trainset between Nagano and Kanazawa Stations on the new Hokuriku Shinkansen line:

Note that the train does stop at Toyama Station, likely simulating the Kagayaki service after leaving Nagano Station.

• Like 2
Guest keio6000

shinkansen cab view videos are rare as hens teeth, so this is gold.  but again a pity that this is a very short one and seems to be of stations only.   surely a full version exists somewhere.

also, while i am no fan of the new shinkansen in general, the E7/W7 is starting to grow on me.   Well then again, anything that replaces the unloved E2...

The Next Station Is...

also, while i am no fan of the new shinkansen in general, the E7/W7 is starting to grow on me. Well then again, anything that replaces the unloved E2...

Poor E2 shinkansen, I thought it was ugly until I saw (and rode) one in real life. It's still not the best looking shinkansen but I've made space for it in my heart. That doesn't stop the E7/W7 being better-looking though...

• Like 1

I merged two topics about the same cab view video. The one keio6000 posted is obviously the full-length version of the one Sacto1985 posted.

Guest keio6000

There is also another shinkansen video posted there 500 from shin osaka to hakata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3olGyFfAmE

plus this old school one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39SGDYAOzPA

the old school one is great, even though it is speeded up.  Mid to late 1980s im guessing.  one i struck by just how many curves there are on the tokaido shinkansen, even if the sped up nature of the video exacerbates this.

Edited by keio6000
  • Like 1

the Kanazawa - Nagano route is 30 min longer (i didnt saw the entire video)

edit: looks like the videos

Nagano - Kanazawa faster  service ( 3 stops Nagano - Toyama - Kanazawa)

Kanazawa - Nagano slower service ( All stations )

• Like 1

Slow speed test or not, that video of the trip from Nagano to Kanazawa is an EXTREMELY rare find because zenmen tenbou videos of Shinkansen trips are essentially impossible to do by railfans (for obvious reasons).

By the way, now I know why it took so long to build the Hokuriku line--look at all those long tunnels they had to build, especially between Nagano and Itoigawa.

(EDIT: I believe the first video likely simulates the limited-stop Kagayaki service; the second video simulates the all-stops Hakutaka service.)

Edited by Sacto1985

I would go as far to say part of the reason the line took so long to build was also from political and public pressures in Toymoya as well. A co-worker of mine is from Tomoya and his family was along the proposed RoW. From what I Was told, the area was heavily populated by many older families who saw little to no need for the rail line, and many local politicians agreed, and had been left with the impression that public outcry and political pressures against JR were pretty rough. Not quite anti0NRT rough, but getting there.

Shashinka, I kind of disagree, given the incredibly long tunnels they had to build just east of Nagano all the way to essentially Itoigawa. Even with modern boring machines it would take probably over a decade of work to get them completed. The extension now under construction from Kanazawa to Fukui will take some time to build because there are low mountains northeast of Fukui that will need new tunnels for the Hokuriku line to reach there. To reach Tsuruga, they will probably need to build a very long tunnel southwest of Fukui, likely longer than the Hokuriku Tunnel, the longest above sea level zairaisen tunnel in Japan currently.

A little update: Google Maps now shows the Hokuriku Shinkansen line itself from Nagano to Kanazawa, though the short line extension from Kanazawa to the Haksusan Rolling Stock Center, captions for the line itself and the graphics for stations along the way are not yet included. I expect that to be included by late this week just before service starts.

I noticed that when look at the "park with a view of the Shinkansen" google map.  Also some stations semi build between Kanazawa and the depot.  Just past Nonoichi it goes into single line.  You can make you the future plan by seeing some of the unused viaducts and land already cleared etc.

Edited by katoftw

And now, the first side view full-length trip video on the Hokuriku Shinkansen from Kanazawa to Tokyo on the Kagayaki limited express, courtesy of YouTube member HKSAMA:

Note that this was taken from the Gran Class car of this train.

• Like 1

And here is a better, higher-resolution zenmen tenbou video of a trip from Kanazawa to Nagano, simulating the Hakutaka all-stops service, courtesy of YouTube user shiminjichi:

• Like 1

And now, the first side view full-length trip video on the Hokuriku Shinkansen from Kanazawa to Tokyo on the Kagayaki limited express, courtesy of YouTube member HKSAMA:

Amazing video, and from Grand Class!

Interesting to know the Kagayaki only make 5 stops before coming to Tokyo:

Kanazawa - Toyama - Nagano - Omiya - Ueno - Tokyo  

Talk about Super Fast!

Guest keio6000

Thanks for the video!  Just a reminder, folks, because these videos sometimes disappear from youtube for various reasons, you might want to consider "YTD video downloader" or a similar program to save these things locally.  I'm glad I did on the videos that I linked to previously as you see some of them have disappeared.

Actually, I'm actually kind of surprised that JR East/JR West decided to skip Takasaki as a stop with the Kagayaki train. Takasaki Station is probably the most important train station in Gunma Prefecture, since many local trains originate there.