JR Kyushu to stop in-car sales

JR 500系

Bad news...

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASH1X5QFNH1XTIPE01P.html

An inaccurate translation says JR Kyushu and JR West is stopping in car sales of food and souvenirs on trolleys from 13 March... Although they announce that the sales are not profitable, I think the main reason is the recent labour cut on JR Kyushu hence lesser staff around to sell stuff on trolleys... This is quite sad as the Sonic, Kamome, and other limited express trains will no longer have on train bentos to purchase!

I will need to remind myself to get bentos BEFORE boarding these trains in April...

Luckily, tourist trains like Aso Boy and Yufuin-no-mori and I think the other joyful trains will still continue to have on board sales service...   :)  One wouldn't want to go WITHOUT bentos and drinks to enjoy on the high deck Yufuin-no-mori while experience a scenic train ride....  

I really think this not that big a loss- you can get a better selection of food at the bigger stations before your journey- and frankly, the quality of take away food in Japan is much higher than most other places. In Hokkaido, for the more remote stations offering bentos, you can order after you get on, and they will deliver the bento to your seat, after they are loaded on when the train arrives at that particular stop.  I may miss the occasional cup of coffee on winter journeys, but that's about it.

The same info was linked to another article a few weeks back. Yes the onboard staff will be reduce on the regular limited express trains. Which means anything attached to them will be gone also. The tourist trains will keep their staff. As per the earlier article. So I'll guess they keep their retail wares to sell.

I never brought onboard bentos cos the were 400-500 yen more than buying them at the stations.

Hopefully the keyrings can still be purchased for these trains in some other way. got the SL Hitoyoshi, Isaburo-Shimpei and the Hayato no Kaze keyrings. I'd like to get the other keyrings also. Somehow picked up a purple Tobu Spacia keyring also on my travels.

Edited by katoftw

Given the popularity of JR Kyushu's tourist trains (and JR Kyushu has a lot of them), they're definitely not ending in-train sales on those trains. I do think JR Kyushu sees way more money in turning major train stations into major shopping hubs, as witnessed by the gigantic shopping center built around Hakata Station (I wonder has JR Kyushu done anything to create shopping options around Kumamoto Station, especially given all Shinkansen trains stop there).

Interesting...

Yap I guess I have to buy my Bentos BEFORE riding the Sonic and Kamome... Still, being able to buy something and eat on the Yufuin-no-mori still excites me! 

What will happen to the iconic souvenirs then? I know you can purchase the 3 badges for the Hitsatsu Line on the SL Hitoyoshi, but are there any unique souvenirs for the Sonic and Kamome then? If there are and since they're no longer selling them on the train, where would we be able to buy them? My first guess is bento shops on stations that these trains stop.... 

My guess is that if the on board sales didn't generate enough profits and they are keeping staff on tourist trains only, then those which are not tourist ones will loose most of the extras, like the souvenirs. (or possibly the more famous normal ones could get promoted to tourist train status)

I do think JR Kyushu sees way more money in turning major train stations into major shopping hubs, as witnessed by the gigantic shopping center built around Hakata Station (I wonder has JR Kyushu done anything to create shopping options around Kumamoto Station, especially given all Shinkansen trains stop there).

Have you been to Tokyo or Kyoto station recently? I don't think it is just a JRK thing. All rail companies in Japan have diversified into property at some point. Smart thinking and something the rest of the world's rail companies should be taking note of.

I'd be doubtful of Kumamoto getting a large shopping complex any time soon. While a large area (for KYushu standards), it really is just a commuter transfer point to access Fukuoka/Hakata. They already have Hakata and Kagoshima-Chuo as there main tourist/shopping complexes. The 30-40 shop shopping complex already in Kumamoto station is probably deemed big enough for now.

Have you been to Tokyo or Kyoto station recently? I don't think it is just a JRK thing. All rail companies in Japan have diversified into property at some point. Smart thinking and something the rest of the world's rail companies should be taking note of.

I'd be doubtful of Kumamoto getting a large shopping complex any time soon. While a large area (for KYushu standards), it really is just a commuter transfer point to access Fukuoka/Hakata. They already have Hakata and Kagoshima-Chuo as there main tourist/shopping complexes. The 30-40 shop shopping complex already in Kumamoto station is probably deemed big enough for now.

I've seen videos of the shopping complexes inside Tokyo Station on both sides of the ticket gates--it's nothing short of amazing and is arguably the most varied of any station in Japan besides Kyoto, Nagoya and Hakata Stations. (Interestingly, Shin-Osaka Station doesn't have as many shops, probably because the big shopping complexes are mostly around Osaka Station, which is part of the complex including Hanshin Umeda, Hankyu Umeda and Midōsuji Line subway Umeda Stations that are all connected by underground passages and shops.)

I'll be traveling in Japan this May -- first time.

We'll be taking a Hikari shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo. Does this mean no trolley down the aisle? No on-train food (or souvenir!) services at all?

I'll be traveling in Japan this May -- first time.

We'll be taking a Hikari shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo. Does this mean no trolley down the aisle? No on-train food (or souvenir!) services at all?

Nope I don't think so. The Hikari is on the Tokaido Line, which belongs to JR Central / West. It's not under JR Kyushu, so I reckon the in-car sales will still be on.  I can't say the same for the Mizuho, Sakura or Tsubame though, belonging to JR Kyushu...

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

The thread topic title says JR Kyushu, but the first poster mentions JR West as well.

Does anyone happen to know whether tokaido line shinkansen trains, going from Kyoto to Tokyo, would be affected?

I always like to at least buy a cup of coffee while on a train of any distance -- a chance to stroll through the cars and check out a new train, too.

JR West shinkansens do not have trolley service already. Neither does the JR Kyushu shinkansens. Only vending machines every second car.

JR Central and JR East services do because they are patronized more heavily and they still make enough money from the in car servicing.

Honestly this issue has been blow up way bigger than it really is. the in car servicing was pretty basic, and when you are on a train for under 2 hours, it isn't really necessary.

Since station building offerings and shoppers habits have changed over the past 2 decades, in car servicing is something that isn't really needed in today's world. It is just difficult to let go of something that has been their a long time.

Edited by katoftw

Thanks for the total clarification, katoftw.

In may not sound exciting to some, but I'm now looking forward to patronizing a vending machine as part of my shinkansen experience.

The thread topic title says JR Kyushu, but the first poster mentions JR West as well.

Opps! My bad ~ Apologizes!

JR West shinkansens do not have trolley service already. Neither does the JR Kyushu shinkansens. Only vending machines every second car.

Thanks katoftw! That clarifies things! I need my dose of coffee in the morning so i'll need to grab my coffee and ekiben in Hakata station before setting off on my 5+ hour journey from Hakata to Tokyo, using the Sakura and Hikari...

Thanks katoftw! That clarifies things! I need my dose of coffee in the morning so i'll need to grab my coffee and ekiben in Hakata station before setting off on my 5+ hour journey from Hakata to Tokyo, using the Sakura and Hikari...

Isn't the combination of Sakura and Hikari--plus changing trains at Shin-Osaka Station--make the trip almost seven hours one-way from Hakata to Tokyo (remember, these two trains stop at a lot of intermediate stations that the Nozomi train bypasses). For such a long trip, I'd rather take the Nozomi or better yet, get the best deal on a domestic airline flight between Fukuoka and Tokyo Haneda.

Isn't the combination of Sakura and Hikari--plus changing trains at Shin-Osaka Station--make the trip almost seven hours one-way from Hakata to Tokyo (remember, these two trains stop at a lot of intermediate stations that the Nozomi train bypasses). For such a long trip, I'd rather take the Nozomi or better yet, get the best deal on a domestic airline flight between Fukuoka and Tokyo Haneda.

The Nozomi is not covered by the railpass. And it is only 60-80 minutes quicker depending on swervice used. So unless you are in a super hurry to be somewhere, it isn't worth the extra coin.

Thing with the suggest Trip that JR500 is going on, he can transfer at Okayama, Kobe or Shin-Osaka. And only about 15-30 minute transfer times depending on the services used also.

I did the same trip last October. If I was to do it again, I'd plan a larger changeover time and head into one of those cities for a few hours.

Edited by katoftw

I have always enjoyed the view ... ... ...

Yes on a shinkansen, what is outside the train is alot more interesting. Shinkansens on the inside are as boring as planes. At least the shinkansens have a view, and if it is the first time to Japan, then you will get small glimses of cities you pass. But the view isn't great in most locations.

For those travelling past Mount Fuji on the shinkansen, seat E is the window seat facing north direction towards it.

Edited by katoftw

My thoughts on my first Japan trip. And some misconceptions debunked. I was a first time traveller to Japan like yourself.

From this thread:- http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8775-japan-travel-tips/page-1

Just though I type out some thoughts and surprizes from my experiences:-

Japanese people are so warm and welcoming. Even if you are walking down the wrong side of the stairwell, they still make an attempt to clear a path for you. Or the 60yo granny will get up and offer her seat to our 3 and 5yo.

You might as well just take only your deodourent with you. The hotels supply toothbrushes, toothpaste, hairbushes, shavers, shampoo, conditioner, body wash.

English must be Japans main second language. They all see to have a little knowledge of it. Although attempting to speak some Japanese always gets a smile and respect from the Japanese people.

The buses are so easy to use. If you are planning a trip to Japan, don't be afraid of the buses. Just make sure you have plenty of 10yen, 100yen coins. Although all coin change machines on buses and trams accept 1000yen notes. Those coin change machine make the process very easy. Hard to access the machine if it is peak hour.

Big luggage was not a problem. As told it would be. But on the Shinkansen, SL Hitoyoshi, Isaburo-Shinpei and the Hayato no Kaze, they was places to fit even the larger size luggage. But don't attempt peak hour if you do have larger luggage.

Pack a few days worth of clothes. Coin laundrys are everywhere. You dont need to pack 7-10 days worth of clean clothes. 400-600yen for washing, and 100yen for 20-30 minutes of dryer. All machines have a minute counter on them, so you know when to come back. Trick with the dryer is to drop a few coins into it, so it is going for 60-90 minutes. We did ours in the morning, and went off for breakfast in those 60-90 minutes.

If going on the Tokaido Shinkansen. Ask for seat E. That is the window seat facing north/Mount Fuji.

• Like 1

From Hyperdia:

Sakura-Hikari_zpsjddpsldy.jpg

Total of Sakura + Hikari from Hakata to Tokyo = 343 mins + 14 mins (transfer waiting time) = 357 mins 

Nozomi_zpstmn9dvyv.jpg

And the same journey with the Nozomi = 308 mins.

So total difference = 357 - 308 = 49 mins.

For a mere 49mins, we would have to fork out the full fare for riding the Nozomi. Sorry but I don't think i'll take that option.

It's an idea to take the flight, but arrive in Hakata at around 9am, and not being able to check into the hotel until after 3pm, there is almost a 6 hour block of 'free' time. Hence, it's kinda 'time saving' and definitely 'cost-saving' to use the Rail Pass covered Shinkansen journey from Hakata to Tokyo. Also, this was part of the reason for the Green Pass so that we can have a nice rest on the Sakura and Hikari after a long flight...

• Like 1

Yes on a shinkansen, what is outside the train is alot more interesting. Shinkansens on the inside are as boring as planes. At least the shinkansens have a view, and if it is the first time to Japan, then you will get small glimses of cities you pass. But the view isn't great in most locations.

For those travelling past Mount Fuji on the shinkansen, seat E is the window seat facing north direction towards it.

So sorry Mr katoftw,

I was referring to the girl pushing the bento trolley ... :grin

haha They don't do it for me. If there was short skirts and unrealistic body proportions like in Rail Wars, then yes they would. But this is the real world. haha

But they always have nice smiles.

Edited by katoftw

Speaking about views. Is there a guide on how to travel on the old cape gauge Tokaido mainline from Tokyo to Osaka. I know it's only possible by changing trains multiple times, but i don't know if it's only possible with locals or are there any limited expresses or other train types along the route. I'm excluding sleepers and sinkansen because the views would only be interesting during daylight hours and only on the old line that goes through more urban areas and afaik hugs the coast more than the shinkansen.

What is old cape guage? How does it differ from the regular Tokaido mainline?

edit// Google gave me an answer.

As for travelling along the Tokaido Mainline, it looks to be a mixture of Limited Epresses, Rapids and normal services with multiple stops along the way at the larger cities/towns. Atami, Hamamatsu, toyohashi, Maibara etc.

Use hyperdia to get a few trips. Looks to be a 8 hour trip (Tokyo to Kyoto) with stops. Probably be a fun way to do it if you wanted to overnight in places like Shizuoka and Hamamatsu etc. Maibara to Otsu along the side of Lake Biwa would be a highlight.

Going the long way around through Wakayama visiting Kumamo, Kushimoto and Shirahama would be a scenic trip, if very long.

Edited by katoftw

Speaking about views. Is there a guide on how to travel on the old cape gauge Tokaido mainline from Tokyo to Osaka. I know it's only possible by changing trains multiple times, but i don't know if it's only possible with locals or are there any limited expresses or other train types along the route. I'm excluding sleepers and sinkansen because the views would only be interesting during daylight hours and only on the old line that goes through more urban areas and afaik hugs the coast more than the shinkansen.

Basically assume local services with the odd tokkyu which happens to run along the Tokaido near urban centres if the timetable matches up. From Tokyo you could get to Atami on the Odorik, then it would be local trains most of the way to Nagoya; from Nagoya you might be able to get a Hokuriku-bound tokkyu as far as Maibara, but it'd be local trains to Kyoto, from where you could probably get another tokkyu towards Osaka, but it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Maibara to Otsu along the side of Lake Biwa would be a highlight.

That stretch of line is mainly a bit inland from Biwako. It's not unpleasant but don't expect spectacular views of the lake; the lines running on the western side is better for that. The trip over the Sekigahara pass is quite pleasant IIRC. Hikone is a nice stop-off between Maibara and Kyoto, the castle has nice views of the lake.