JR snow plough formations…which to choose?

NGT6 1315

Morning all,

I've been looking for a N scale snow plough formation which would be suitable for use in a JR Hokkaido context. Not presently having this knowledge, I wonder if JR Hokkaido has specific types of snow ploughs not found elsewhere in Japan or whether I could reasonably obtain a set for another region.

I appreciate any clues!

Cheers,

Dom

FWIW Wikipedia indicates that DD16s are no longer used on snow-plough duty (not many seem to have made it there anyway, and the above model is from JR West), and DD15s are what are currently in use. Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any means.

FWIW Wikipedia indicates that DD16s are no longer used on snow-plough duty (not many seem to have made it there anyway, and the above model is from JR West), and DD15s are what are currently in use. Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any means.

You are right.  But since there is about 5 models of snow ploughs covering the 1960s until now.  Getting prototypical on choice might not be a benefit in ones search.

I think if you went a DD15 or 16, with a Russel Head plough of some description.  It will be good enough.

Krackel Hopper

Prototypical for Hokkaido would be the DE15 Russell Head plows. MicroAce made a couple; A8710 (V shape) and A8713 (wedge shape) along with the Tomix 2211 (wedge shape). Unfortunately these are all old releases and not very easy to find today.

There is also the MicroAce MCR600 in red (A2760), yellow (A2761), & blue (A2762) which are close in design to the HRT600, or as Hokkaido has them classified DBR600 - D (diesel) B (2 axle) R (russell and/or rotary).

post-180-0-85044700-1421292748_thumb.jpgpost-180-0-90407400-1421292760_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krackel Hopper