Pro Z diorama plates

ozman2009

Do you know if ProZ is still manufacturing them or plan any expansion?

I don't read japanese so it's difficult to understand if the system is still developed

Tokyo Marui's main products are various weapons. In the past they also made airplane models, rc cars and tanks and for a short time, they produced three Z scale trains and designed 4 diorama plates under the Pro Z brand. As far as i know, the two end modules in the base set and the 45 degree module was actually produced. The trains were made in full set and 4 car short version. The biggest problem with the diorama modules is the relatively tight curves which other japanese Z scale trains can't negotiate, so there was a kit to modify the twice around base layout to two separate loops with two controllers by removing the crossover in the tunnel. In the end they seem to have quit before japanese Z scale got off the ground.

ps: I had to resist very hard those trains, since i do have a bunch of european Z scale trains (ep3 german), but compared to Nj scale which i already collected by the time these Z scale trains were made is a much more mature scale, so it's easy to get rolling stock and scenery. Recently Rokuhan and other manufacturers are doing a great job, but they are still very far from what Tomix offer in N.

Edited by kvp

Thanks kvp,

I'll keep that Z scale train as collection, I don't think I'll ever be able to do something in Z scale, I'm DCC only and fitting DCC into that trains looks a bit complicated

do you know if ProZ interior lights support DCC without modifications?

do you know if ProZ interior lights support DCC without modifications?

They are constant lighting compatible, so yes, but the headlights will light up in both directions, so you will need decoders for them and you should not go above 10-12V on the DCC output, which means you will need decoders that can reliably operate above 9V (most decoders will need more than 12V to work). This is also important because of the motors, since they are designed for 10V. (most japanese N scale motors are 12V, while most european ones tolerate 16V)

On the other hand, since the cars are lighted, you can't really hide the 3 decoders anywhere. So far i've kept my Z scale trains analog, but converted most of them to constant lighting with PWM drive. (see the Rokuhan controllers for more info) Suprisingly some of the newer (post 2000) Maerklin trains support it from the factory, altough afaik the company doesn't offer a controller with constant lighting or mention the support in their product catalog.

ps: As long as you only want to run a few trains once in a while, you should go with a good rokuhan throttle (or two) and use their power routing turnouts for block control. If you plan to get other japanese Z scale trains, imho you shouldn't bother with the diorama plates, since about half the available rolling stock won't run on the sharp curves. Getting a Rokuhan starter set is easier and you get everything you need to run your trains. (the only drawback is the lack of scenery, which can be solved by using one of the Z scale Noch diorama plates that are Rokuhan track compatible)

They are constant lighting compatible, so yes, but the headlights will light up in both directions, so you will need decoders for them and you should not go above 10-12V on the DCC output, which means you will need decoders that can reliably operate above 9V (most decoders will need more than 12V to work). This is also important because of the motors, since they are designed for 10V. (most japanese N scale motors are 12V, while most european ones tolerate 16V)

On the other hand, since the cars are lighted, you can't really hide the 3 decoders anywhere. So far i've kept my Z scale trains analog, but converted most of them to constant lighting with PWM drive. (see the Rokuhan controllers for more info) Suprisingly some of the newer (post 2000) Maerklin trains support it from the factory, altough afaik the company doesn't offer a controller with constant lighting or mention the support in their product catalog.

ps: As long as you only want to run a few trains once in a while, you should go with a good rokuhan throttle (or two) and use their power routing turnouts for block control. If you plan to get other japanese Z scale trains, imho you shouldn't bother with the diorama plates, since about half the available rolling stock won't run on the sharp curves. Getting a Rokuhan starter set is easier and you get everything you need to run your trains. (the only drawback is the lack of scenery, which can be solved by using one of the Z scale Noch diorama plates that are Rokuhan track compatible)

Thanks KVP. To me, the clincher is the matter of sharp curves. I'd like to be able to see my trains run.

I own the original diorama set as released originally with four train sets. And will note, the curves are sharp, and the diorama will not accommodate much. The EF65's are about it. I had an EF81, but it was too big for the radius. There were plans for a steam train model by T-M, but issues with the turning radius led to it being scrapped.

There were plans to release a set C and D. The set was delayed for years and when it was released, the quality was not quite there. Furthermore, many of the features, buildings, extended station, and siding were missing from the per-production mock-ups. Tokyo Murai also shelved plans to release buildings and scenery add on as well. They did however release an starter set which included an oval track and P/S, but overall, production costs lead to a scaled back product which killed the sets entirely.

Unless, you are dead set in having a RTR layout, I wouldn't suggest investing in the dioramas. The trainsets themselves are quite nice. If I were to go all in on Z-scale, I would go with the Rokuhan as KVP suggested.