Kato Knuckles and Rapidos

Irish Padre

Hi everyone- just bought a new Kato loco off eBay - an EF 58. Although it hasn't arrived yet, I just noticed that this model seems to have grey knuckle couplings. Is it likely to include Rapidos in the box? And if it not, are they easy to exchange? Here's a pic of the locopost-2585-1415999628643_thumb.jpg

Thanks!!

David

Ef58 couplers are usually easy to replace, but I know that there are different variations around

Edited by Melandir

If it's genuinely new and unmodifed, the Rapido coupler should be attached as standard. According to the catalogue, the Kato Couple N is included as an alternative.

Okay.  That model comes with rapidos as standard, and knuckle couplers are included as an option.  So hopefully a) the stock ebay picture is a EF58 with knuckle couplers fitted, b) if knuckle couples are fitted, then the original rapidos are in the box also.

• Like 1

Great - thank you! The seller only put up one picture and it's quite blurry. The loco was described as new though so the various couplings should still be in the box!

Thanks everyone! Loco arrived today - with knuckles. Thankfully I spied a few Rapidos in the parts bag and as advised it was a quick job to fix. Thanks for the guidance - I now look forward to hooking the EF-58 to an 8-car Nagasaki sleeper train!!

• Like 1