Model or real train ?????????

domino

Hey

Take a look at this video , an see if you can see the switch between model and real train ,try it  ;)

Martijn Meerts

The trains are pretty much all models, obviously they added clips of real scenery. Very well made, although the DoF is awfully shallow ;)

This is what I call "Movie Magic"! There are so many elements involved in order to make this work. The modeling is of the highest quality and they to be able to matte to an actual scene....incredible. Do you know anything about the model/film maker?

CaptOblivious

I say the entire thing is real, no models; all shot with a telephoto lens and some After Effects-esque fakery of a shallow depth of field.

I say the entire thing is real, no models; all shot with a telephoto lens and some After Effects-esque fakery of a shallow depth of field.

I am with Capt 'Obvious' with this one.  This is obviously real mode in telephoto lens.  ;)

Yeah, it's all real; they've just filmed it using a camera with a tilt-shift lens that re-orients the focal plane, resulting in a very shallow depth of field. The result is an optical illusion that makes everything look miniature to us.

Yes somehow he fitted a tilt-shift lens onto a motion camera and recorded the video. Come to think of it, probably stuck it onto a DSLR with movie capabilities.

Martijn Meerts

There's too many things that are problematic for it to be real, like trees clearly blowing in quite heavy wind, while bushes are completely static, construction sites which aren't correctly closed off and no people there whatsoever. And the general lack of people over the course of the whole movie.

Not to mention that some camera angles would be impossible unless they'd use cranes and heavy equipment and the like, at which point it would have to be a professional production =)

I still think it's a combination of model and real. All the movement in foreground and background scenes but the track especially the ballast is too clean. The poles for the wires look plastic (but there are shadows)

Hey I could be wrong but Domino got us all thinking and I've looked at it 3 times already trying to find clues.

I don't doubt for a minute it's all real. Martin reckons there are problems with that idea, but I saw nothing to suggest that any of it is a model. I don't know anything about the appearance of European building sites, but there are numerous shots in which people and even dogs are visibly moving, so that objection isn't valid.

As for the ballast looking too clean, I'd expect that, it's Switzerland, but even then there are scenes where the ballast is obviously fouled, and in one scene you can plainly see where the points in a crossover have been greased and stained the surrounding ballast. Same with the catenary. There's a scene in station where the quite complex OHW can be plainly seen. Some of the mast and portals do look shiny, but that's to be expected on a railway where the OHW structures are given a galvanised coating during manufacture.

For me the clincher is the appaearance of trains themselves. They are obviously real. The weathering is way too subtle for any model, the pass stock is all close coupled with diapraghms, and all the locos and stock have their brake pipe hoses coupled up. They're not models.

All the best,

Mark.

This is what I call "Movie Magic"! There are so many elements involved in order to make this work. The modeling is of the highest quality and they to be able to matte to an actual scene....incredible. Do you know anything about the model/film maker?

Sorry no  :(

domino

Well i did find something, this is all i know for now.

:Camera:

2x Canon 5d mark ii

Lenses:

Tilt-Shift 24mm 3.5/f + 1.4x Converter

Tilt-Shift 90mm 2.8/f

Sisikon-Göschenen

Andi Leemann

Jeri Peier

Martijn Meerts

I think we have 1 of those 5d's at work for quick backup pictures that don't require high quality and high resolution ;)

I think we have 1 of those 5d's at work for quick backup pictures that don't require high quality and high resolution ;)

5d is overkill then.

alpineaustralia
Well, so THERE IS finally a use for the Canon 5d MkII camera. I always wondered why anyone would buy one of those.

Why wouldnt there be?

Amittedly the video function is a gimmick but with 21 megapixels and a DIGIC 4 processor, the 5D mark II has awesome capacity

I have a Canon eos 5D Mark I and I swear by it.

Martijn Meerts

5d is overkill then.

Depends a bit on what you use as main camera('s) of course

Well, so THERE IS finally a use for the Canon 5d MkII camera. I always wondered why anyone would buy one of those.

Why wouldnt there be?

Cause, I'm a Nikon user  :P :P :P

For me the clincher is the appaearance of trains themselves. They are obviously real. The weathering is way too subtle for any model, the pass stock is all close coupled with diapraghms, and all the locos and stock have their brake pipe hoses coupled up. They're not models.

I will also add that I don't think that anyone produces any ETR470 modell in any scale.

alpineaustralia
LOL, yaeah, yeah, well, I'm thinking of going to Sony

Matey - I wouldnt be a real Canon user unless I gave you sh*t about Nikon. ;D