just a bit of water, no biggie

lurkingknight

Looks like one that I think Toni posted before.  Is that station really prone to flooding?  I'm surprised they don't do something about that.  No guarantee the electrical equipment is going to survive that.

bikkuri bahn

FWIW, Shin Keisei's website is reporting delays in their services, along with some cancellations and the suspension of through services on the Keisei Line.  No closures.

Typhoon has passed (wasn't very dramatic, at least here on the west side of Tokyo) and is now back out to sea. Still a few line closures in areas closer to the sea.

Edited by railsquid

Deep water can happen above concrete slab tracks when the drainage system has way less capacity than the amount of rainwater coming in. Usualy once the heay rain stops, the water slowly drains away. A tram track example:

6065624_dafc13359e104bdfd92cf8ddc17bdebd

Also, in the US the New York city subway is actually used as a semi official rainwater collection system. Of course, they have the right equipment to pump everything out.

enhanced-buzz-6673-1351617661-1.jpg

Seeing as how water conducts, I really doubt that grounding is a problem...

correct.  but the water is everywhere.  grounding to incorrect locations is deadly to electrical circuits.

correct. but the water is everywhere. grounding to incorrect locations is deadly to electrical circuits.

Electricity will take the easiest path. As far as i know the least resistance is offered by the metal running rails. Other than that, there could be places where the water creates a shorter path somewhere else, but it won't really affect the train, just lineside equipment and anything in the vicinity not properly protected against lighting strikes. If left for a long time, there could be electric corrosion on metal parts that get connected into the circuit. If there is a serious leak of electric power or a ground fault is detected, then the substation would turn off the power anyway.

In the London underground, many lines have isolated 4th rails, that act as a current return, because when routed through the running rails, electricity tends to go into the ground through the old cast iron tube walls and that would cause corrosion. Other than that, the trains would run just as well with an earth return. Many older rural lines have a single wire and use this earth return for normal operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-wire_earth_return

lurkingknight

path of least resistance would still be metal to metal contact, water by itself is not that conductive. could be wrong though.

The current has to go somewhere once it's passed through the pantograph.