less demand for rail passes

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

A combination of booking technology, mobile devices and changing traveler habits is leading to the disappearance of what was once an iconic product for U.S. travelers: the European rail pass.

In earlier years travelers would head to Europe with their paper Eurail Passes for a month-long jaunt across Europe’s famous sites, cheap hotels, parties, and cultural landmarks.

http://skift.com/2014/09/16/mobile-booking-and-high-speed-rail-are-killing-the-eurail-pass/

Interesting... Although if Japan did not have their JR Pass, it would mean to cost a LARGE amount of money travelling around the country. Locals almost ONLY use the shinkansen for work related or some holiday travels, and the cost of the shinkansen ticket is almost comparable to internal flight tickets. The Rail pass was a fantastic idea to save and see Japan as a tourist, and lots of Japanese wished they could get hold of the rail pass!  

Yes there are probably plenty of folks who'd like to get it. But there are various special tickets available, they may not be quite as good of a deal as the Rail Pass, but they offer various levels of discount and free riding. Nothing beats the seishun 18 :)

My two friends and I have Eurail Passes for our three week jaunt around Germany and Switzerland in three weeks time and I'm sure they will pay for themselves many times over.  If the Eurail Pass and Japan Rail Pass ever disappear it will be a sad day for railfans even if regular tourists who don't travel by train as much these days do not miss them.

The main difference between Nozomi and Hikari is the freqency. Especially if your trip passes Osaka, with few (if any) through trains that can be used with the Japan Rail Pass.

And it's getting worse.  I remember my last couple of trips standing on the platform at Nagoya watching several Nozomis depart before a train came along that I could catch.