Kato Double Track Curves????

Sascha

I'm confused. What is the difference between a A; Curved Superelevated Track  B: Curved Superelevated Track (concrete sleepers), and C: Double Wooden Sleeper Curved Track.

The only difference I could find, seemed to be in a slightly different color.

And when would I use the A: Concrete Tie Double Track and the B: Concrete Slap Double Track?

I'm planing on having an elevated Shinkansen track above my ground level track, and a Underground (Subway) line.

Any help is as always greatly appreciated.

Sascha

A; Curved Superelevated Track: superelevated with wooden pattern sleepers, the choice for old mainlines

B: Curved Superelevated Track (concrete sleepers): superelevated with solid concrete sleepers, the choice for modern mainlines

C: Double Wooden Sleeper Curved Track: completly flat (not superelevated) and wooden pattern sleepers

A and B needs transition pieces from flat to superelevation and back and can't be used safely for S curves, C can be used anywhere.

A: Concrete Tie Double Track: classic track with concrete ties and ballast

B: Concrete Slap Double Track: slab track without ties or ballast, seen on some new shinkansen lines

The second one is modern buy rarely used and almost always on viaducts and elevated stations.

• Like 1

double wood tracks do not exsist from any manufacturer.

most shinkansen lines are slab type.  but if you are using kato, they do not offer S248 or R481 in slab.  so if you want to keep it all uniform looking, then concrete ties is a better option.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
The Next Station Is...

I did found them on Amazon while searching for the other two, but maybe its the wrong name on the page.

http://www.amazon.com/Kato-20-112-Double-Wooden-Sleeper/dp/B0003K3IHO

I believe it's now discontinued but Kato did produce these single wooden track curves pre-mounted on double track bases, although I believe you can take them off those bases as well.

Yes my apologies.  I forgot about those.  They didn't even come into my mind when I read your question.  I wouldn't recommend them as they are hard to get, and you may be left with options that you are unable to do.

Krackel Hopper

Yes my apologies.  I forgot about those.  They didn't even come into my mind when I read your question.  I wouldn't recommend them as they are hard to get, and you may be left with options that you are unable to do.

They are just standard 282/315 curves fitted into a scenery plate. They are perfectly compatible with standard kato track and can be used interchangeably. They are a great option to dress up certain areas of your layout. They are discontinued and availability can be spotty.. often I see these at local train swap meets for dirt cheap.. I would not discourage anyone from using these as they have a lot of potential for great scenes.