Which volcano on Kyushu is easily accessible by rail/bus? The best one?

Steve4031

I used to live in Fukuoka, Mt. Aso is one of the nicest and the surrounding area is stunning. Summer or Autumn are probably the best seasons to visit as its all looks a bit brown until mid spring. Aso is a bit difficult to get to by train although you can take the joyful train "Aso boy" which starts from Kumamoto. You'll have to google for buses that run between Aso station and the cable car which takes you up to the crater. I never used the bus to get here so not sure when and where they run from.

You could also visit Sakura-jima which is across the bay from Kagoshima. Its a short ferry ride although it is a very active volcano and you can't always get across to it. You can now get to Kagoshima-chuo by shinkansen as the line through Hakata (Fukuoka) was completed a few years ago. There are a number of new services such as the Sakura Shinkansen that run between Osaka and Kagoshima.

If you want Hot Springs, Yufuin and Beppu should be on your list.

Kyushu has some stunning scenery and some of the nicest furnished trains in Japan.

• Like 1

I appreciate the information. I forgot about the one by Kagoshima after reading about it in a guidebook. I also wanted to do a hot spring. I can combine some train rides with these sights.

I used to live in Fukuoka,

Me too! I spent four years in Higashi ku.

I have to agree about Aso.  Its a good one to visit.  I actually took the bus when I visited from Fukuoka just because it was the simplest and cheapest way to get there.

Steve4031, if you do get to Aso the caldera is very impressive.  You can actually see the remains of the old ropeway system that was destroyed in a small eruption about 20 or 30 years ago.

When I google bus schedules, I get links to schedules that are written in Japanese only.  Right now, my trip is in the early planning stages.  So I don't need the exact schedules.  I just would like to know what is possible.  Would Hyperpedia have these schedules in English?

This area appears to be more off the beaten path.  If it is difficult to get around because of bus schedules, etc, then I might be better off booking a bus tour from Fukuoka,  Did I understand correctly that this was a bus tour that could be booked from a hotel?

Kitayama, thank you for the photos.  That looks exciting.  I don't think I would have the skills and stamina to do what you did though.  

Hello again Mr Steve,

Beppu is a must. I recommend an early start from Hakata and eat breakfast on the train. You will need a full day to see the "hells" and enjoy an hour or two at Hyotan Onsen:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4702.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4701.html#hyotan

E6. Appreciate you!! This is great advice. I wasn't sure what the 7 hells were. So this is on the to do list.

Sakurajima, a short boat journey across Kagoshima is interesting. Last time I went it erupted, and the town/city was cover in black dust everywhere in the street. 

There is also a free foot bath in onsen water which is relaxing,

Steve

In 1984 I banged around Kyushu for 8 days and went up mt aso on a local tour bus. Got to see lots up at the culdara and really nice views. I was there in summer and it was hot.

In those days there were very few westerners touring in Kyushu and even so and not speaking or reading Japanese I was able to find my way around. I had a guidebook and would stop at any tour offices (both national and private) all the time to get some ideas and pointers. Many time no English, but after pointing at what I was trying to get to or do in the guidebook they would get it and give me some schedules And brochures with some things marked in for me and usually a message to the next Japanese person who might help me. Being Japan there always seemed to be transport no matter when I tried things at the last minute. It was wonderfully nice and I think everyone I dealt with was very surprised and honored I wanted to explore their world. Sure things have changed some since then, but I think you will find kyushu stunning scenes and nice folks.

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you. I'm not so concerned about getting lost as having realistic expectations as to what I can do. If there is limited bus service from aso to mount aso, then I want to make sure I can make the connections using Hakodate or Kagoshima as a home base. The train service from these cities to aso indicate this is possible. I'm not sure how long it takes to go from aso to my aso by bus.

I'm not telling to not to go.  Was just thinking that a tram ride, a 150m walk to a ferry terminal etc, is much easier than getting to the Aso Caldera.

If you got time for both, do both.  If you only got time for one, go to the easiest.

I do prefer easiest.  I am planning to ride the train that passes by the Aso volcano.  The route, if i understand correctly has an interesting switchback operation.  

Edited by Steve4031

I do prefer easiest.  I am planning to ride the train that passes by the Aso volcano.  The route, if i understand correctly has an interesting switchback operation.  

Yap, the famous triple switch-back to climb up the mountain. I'm going to experience it too next year!

Yeah, I live pretty close to that volcano which just erupted (well, a couple hours away).  Very shocking and sad to see and a reminder of how dangerous those places can be.