My e217 Motor car is acting up....sudden death.

SubwayHypes

SubwayHypes

This is one of my favorite trains!  Basically, whenever i decide to run a train, i run its motor car first on the entire track before i start to put 8+ cars on the track.

My E217 is dying and not running at all.  She starts in certain directions but dies very quickly.  Once she dies, if i move her place on the track and reset the powerpack, she will start to move again, and then die in approx 5 seconds.

I know this track's current is pretty good, because i just ran my df200 loco and my n700 7 car nozomi set and it runs extremely smooth! 

Do kato motor cars require "warm up"  it seems like maybe it just cant get enough juice.  I noticed when i placed my n700 nozomi on the track, the first round about was pretty sluggish but after 5-6 rounds it was running at smooth top speed.

I checked my e217 motors wheels and they are free of dust, etc....it doesnt make any audible noise stuttering.   

what do you guys think?

disturbman

I have one Kato loc and the only thing I can say is that it's a great runner, maybe the best from my whole roster. It runs really smoothly with a nice electrical sound. Vrrrrrrrrrr

I'm far from being an expert on the matter but, after reading this forum, it seems to me that you Nozomi just needed the grease to lubrify the motors.

As for your E217, you will have to wait until wisdomer people come along. Sorry.  :-[

My KATO trains run the best. I seem to recall thoguh that KATO engines ship with the absolute minimum amount of grease. You might need grease.

Lubricating the motor points can't hurt and the gears in the trucks but have you checked the brushes in the motor?

They could be dirty or worn. Be very careful, brushes are a little tricky to check, they are very small and can pop right out (they're easy to lose)