TV program heads up Saturday, Aug. 30 9pm~

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Once more, forum members in Japan may want to be in their living rooms this evening, as the TBS program sekai fushigi hakken (TBS, 9:00pm~) has the Tokaido Shinkansen as their topic tonight.  This program is a bit better and more sober than the typical low budget variety programs out there, being sponsored by Hitachi, so some of the content may have higher informational quality.

http://www.tbs.co.jp/f-hakken/

• Like 3
bikkuri bahn

Some takeaways from the program above:

1. Shinkansen chief engineer Hideo Shima's father was one of the principals of the cancelled-in-WW2 dangan ressha project.

2. There is a backup CTC facility in Osaka, which is kept powered up (but in unmanned standby mode) in case of failure of the Tokyo CTC facility.

3. The maintenance depot at Hamamatsu uses special tool boxes/workbenches with foam inserts or outlines that show which tools are being used at that moment in a glance.  This is to help prevent tools from being forgotten and left in rolling stock innards.  The Hitachi/Southeastern Rlwy Class 395 maintenance depot at Ashford also uses this system.

• Like 2

Very good show, thanks for heads up about it being shown on TBS
I have uploaded a low-res video of the show in my Dropbox for anyone who wants to watch it. Esp interesting for any UK members as it shows The National Railway Museum in York and Ashford maintenance depot. 

http://www.dropbox.com/s/lh34rwiq36fn92t/TBS%20sekai%20fushigi%20hakken%20-%20Tokaido%20Shinkansen.asf?dl=0

Edited by dabsan
  • Like 3

I have uploaded a low-res video of the show in my Dropbox for anyone who wants to watch it. Esp interesting for any UK members as it shows The National Railway Museum in York and Ashford maintenance depot. 

http://www.dropbox.com/s/lh34rwiq36fn92t/TBS%20sekai%20fushigi%20hakken%20-%20Tokaido%20Shinkansen.asf?dl=0

Thanks for uploading this, I missed this thread yesterday and now I can watch the show and fast forward past the celebrity freak show sections :)

• Like 1

Can I double-like dabsan's video?

I just watched it. Very informative. Especially liked the bit that I MUST be a true shinkansen fan to know the answer to the last question.... Haha ~

And the winning contestants get to win a 3-car basic N-scale Doctor Yellow! Mighty nice! But what are they going to run it on?? And wonder if it's Tomix or Kato... *Wait a minute, upon further inspection, my guess is Tomix, due to the linking diaphragm. Kato has no link diaphragm...

I want one of those hand-held brooms that detect moisture that the cleaner crews use! Very handy!

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
  • Like 1

Thx for the very nice video.

I live in the the UK, I'm ashamed that I still haven't been to the museum in York!

luckily been on the Hitachi train in Ashford several times! 

• Like 1

dabsan, I know what you mean! Had wanted to go there at least 8 years now still haven't got round to it.

The problem is that its cheaper for me to get to Nuremburg museum then to York by train, funny? Something is really wrong about pricing here!

I had a made priority to drive to York next summer time with the family, hopefully it will happen. 

• Like 1

Yeah I know exactly what you mean about the train ticket pricing in the UK.

I would like to go to the Nuremburg Railway Museum, looks very interesting.

Hope you get chance to go to York, in my opinion it's worth going just to see the 0 series Shinkansen.

:thumbsup: