Nagano Shinkansen, Tokyo to Nagano

Sacto1985

Here's a zenmen tenbou video a lot of people want to record on their own but can't do it for practical reasons:

This a zenmen tenbou video of the Nagano Shinkansen Asama train from Tokyo to Nagano Stations. Though the resolution is relatively low, it's definitely worth seeing, especially the line split north of Omiya and Takasaki Stations.

(Mind you, I'm not sure how long it'll stay up on YouTube, so catch it as soon as possible! By the way, does anyone in Japan sell on DVD--even a DVD set--of a non-stop five-hour trip on the Nozomi train, even if the zenmen tenbou video has to be split on two DVD's?)

Edited by Sacto1985
  • Like 1

I bought a Blu Ray disc at Shosen Book Tower a couple of years ago of a zenmen tenbou trip from Hakata to Shin-Kobe on a 500 series working a Nozomi service.

Guest keio6000

Wow, great video!  Unfortunately, the quality is very low (275 mb for a 2 hour video = tiny!)

Getting HQ videos of canonical shinkansen routes should be an important project for some rail fan society in japan    It's almost criminal how few such videos are available given that they are, in the case of shinkansen, important historical chronicles as well. 

Edited by keio6000
  • Like 1

Thank you for posting this!

It's one of the best Zenmen Tenbou videos I've seen, probably because it's a Shinkansen! I like to hear every thing the driver says. It seems he's running quite on time, usually around 5-8 seconds in between. Very good~ It's an E2 I presume? didn't know Ueno is an underground station for the shinkansen~~

Love to see more out there, like the E3, E4, E5 or even E7!

I for one would right now love to see an official uncut zenmen tenbou video of a full Tokyo to Hakata trip on the Nozomi Shinkensen train, split into two parts--Tokyo to Shin-Osaka and Shin-Osaka to Hakata. And do it on the current N700A trainset, something similar to this zenmen tenbou video but in full HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8CoPxsVkDs

Wow, great video!  Unfortunately, the quality is very low (275 mb for a 2 hour video = tiny!)

Getting HQ videos of canonical shinkansen routes should be an important project for some rail fan society in japan    It's almost criminal how few such videos are available given that they are, in the case of shinkansen, important historical chronicles as well. 

Probably because it would be impossible to get invited into a Shinkansen cab and likely just as hard to get offical permission.

Guest keio6000

Probably because it would be impossible to get invited into a Shinkansen cab and likely just as hard to get offical permission.

why it should be so difficult to get official permission i can't really imagine.  if i represented a society of railfans or whatever in britain and made an appointment with the head whoevver of whatever, I'm sure it could be arranged.   there are plenty of rainfans in Japan - if they put together a polite request with a non-commercial, educational goal and provided the equipment (which let's face it need not be more than consumer grade) they wouldn't, there's really not much to it.   Stick the camera with the suction cups on the window in Hakata, pick it up in Tokyo (or the JR-whatever-boundary in  the case of the Tokaido shinkansen).   This would especially carry some weight if it were requested by some older rail-fans rather than the pushing-and-shoving types, of course. 

In fact, I kind of wonder whether the Britain-based Japan rail society could take this on as a project.

• Like 1

I would love to see a zenmen tenbou video done as a project of either Tetsudo.com (a well-known commercial railfan site in Japan), Japan Railfan Magazine (鉄道ファン), or the Japan Railfan Club in cooperation with the various JR Group companies that operate Shinkansen trains. And release it on Blu-ray discs, with the longer runs like the Nozomi and Hayabusa trains on two discs.

Interesting video - it must be a few years old (early 2000's?) as there are 205s on the Yamanote and 209s on the Keihin-Tohoku.

bikkuri bahn

A search of Amazon Japan shows numerous shinkansen cab view videos.  Noticeably absent are videos on the Tokaido Shinkansen- JR Tokai is known for not allowing such productions, nor allowing such games as Densha de go to use JR Tokai routes/images. JR West seems to be the most accomodating to professional video producers. Which makes sense, as these are all private companies, and would not surprisingly have different policies/stances.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

At 28:06 you can see two 200's arriving at Omiya heading for Tokyo on the same time. :D

My guess: one of them came in from the Jōetsu line, one of them came in from the Tōhoku line. (It's likely at the time this video was taken back in the mid 2000's when E2's were only starting to show up on the Tōhoku line.)

Edited by Sacto1985