Kitbashed boxcab loco

marknewton

On another forum someone issued a challenge to kitbash or scratchbuild a boxcab loco. I was already considering such a project but the challenge, and a great webpage posted by Nick Burman, were the motivation I needed to get started. So here's where I'm up to:

14852493066_04f70cc458_c.jpg

The mechanism is cobbled together from the frame and motor of a Lifelike Proto2K EMD SW1200 and the trucks from a Proto2K Alco S-1. I picked up a boxful of these models being sold for parts at a swapmeet. They cost me $10AUD. Of course the truck frames will have to be replaced by something more accurate, but as stand-ins they'll do for the moment. For something that's made out of other people's junk, the mech runs beautifully.

The brown part of the body is from an old Arii kit of a JNR EF58 with the original short boxcab body. It was another swapmeet purchase that cost me $2AUD. So I'm very happy with the economics of this project! grin.gif

The lower sides of the body are extended with Evergreen styrene strip, and backed up with more strip that reinforces the joint and locates the body on the mech at the correct height. The various gaps need to be filled once the joints have set hard.

The steps and front porch are just a mock-up piece cut down from parts that came with the Arii kit, they'll be replaced by something a bit finer-looking made out of brass.

The webpage is here:

http://tsushima-keibendo.a.la9.jp/oosaka-cement/oosaka-cement1.html

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

Osaka Cement or Oigawa?

Nick, I'm undecided. Probably Oigawa, but I'm also considering that it could pass as a "near-enough" ED45. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick, I'm undecided. Probably Oigawa, but I'm also considering that it could pass as a "near-enough" ED45. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark.

Oigawa. But I'm being biased... :grin :grin

Cheers NB

Progress report: The modifications to the carbody are complete. All I need to make now are the steps and handrails for attachment to the end platforms, and clean up a few details. I also have to cut and shape the clear styrene to flushglaze the cab windows. The cab window icicle cutters are a little heavy, but I'm going to leave them alone. I'm not sure I could get the shape and fitting right using thin sheet material.

I decided against using the Tomix pantographs, and instead fitted a pair of PS16Bs made by Imon. They're pricey, but very delicate looking, and they exactly fit the existing insulator mounting locations. I got them from HobbySearch, along with some other useful bits and pieces.

The mechanism runs beautifully. I've added an 8-pin receptacle for a decoder, but until I'm finished building it I'll just be test running it on DC. One of my workmates who lives in the next suburb from me has offered the use of his NSW-themed layout for test running.

Nick, even though I share your bias towards the Oigawa I think I will finish it as a near-enough ED45, if only for the reason that it would be more in keeping with a generic JNR layout theme. Yeah, I know, the ED45s were AC test-beds - but I won't tell anybody if you won't!  :)

15153204509_60e90451d3_c.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1