Passengers rock train back and forth to free man

katoftw

Davo Dentetsu

Yep, was over here.  Was rather confused as to how he managed to slip into a relatively small gap.  Shockingly easy, it seems!  Even with a new platform works and near new train fitting to the tolerances.

As fas as i see, it was a Transperth b series train. In this photo http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Transperth_Sets.JPG if you look at the yellow boards, they are rather flexible, so if you happen to step on them with enough weight, they could bend downwards. Imho those boards should be either made stronger, removed or marked with 'flexible gap filler, don't step on this'.

I dont think the are flexible.  Bombardier trains made for Perth and Brisbane all have the same door foot plates.

Edited by katoftw

I used to drive these trains. Yes it is a Transperth B Series Railcar. The station was stirling which is on a slight curve (The line runs down the centre of the Mitchell Freeway so follows the road alignment). The Perth bound train was on the inner track of the curve.

The step at the doors is solid except for a small rubber section of about 4-5cm at the platform end of the step.

This appears to be a bit of a freak accident. possibly movement of the railcar on the suspension as people were boarding caused the gap to open just enough for him to fall. It appears from the video that he stepped back to allow someone to alight or make room for another passenger boarding.

Nice to see the staff and passengers taking a leaf out of Japans book by pushing the railcar.

I'm never surprised at the situations our passengers get themselves into.

katoftw is correct that the Perth units are the same as our 160/260 classes in Brisbane.  I'll have to check a unit if we have any in Ipswich yard tonight because I'm not sure now but I think the steps on ours are completly solid.

I'm never surprised at the situations our passengers get themselves into.

katoftw is correct that the Perth units are the same as our 160/260 classes in Brisbane.  I'll have to check a unit if we have any in Ipswich yard tonight because I'm not sure now but I think the steps on ours are completly solid.

Solid without the extra flexi lip.  100% sure as I see them everyday at work.

Perth being a reletive newish network, they have build most of their platform straight and at the height of the footplates, so they get a the lip to close the gap.  Not that it worked in this case. haha

Most of perths platforms are like Springfield, Richlands, Elimbah, Beerburrum or raised sections of Roma Street, etc

Edited by katoftw
Davo Dentetsu

Perth being a reletive newish network, they have build most of their platform straight and at the height of the footplates, so they get a the lip to close the gap.  Not that it worked in this case. haha

Most of perths platforms are like Springfield, Richlands, Elimbah, Beerburrum or raised sections of Roma Street, etc

Probably one of the very first things that struck me as a first time user of the Brisbane system.  I just thought there was a ban on spirit levels.  :P

You're right and I though they were. I don't usually get in through the passenger door and with all this discussion I wasn't 100% sure.

Probably one of the very first things that struck me as a first time user of the Brisbane system.  I just thought there was a ban on spirit levels.   :P

That's just what happens when you try to join Kato and Tomix platforms. :grin

• Like 1