Onboard Announcements

Hello,

Would anyone be able to advise me if all the Tokyo metro and Toei metro lines play Japanese and English announcements onboard, or if there are some lines or rolling stock that only announce in Japanese?

I dont mind recording announcements in other languages (Welsh, Tamal and Chinese are some of the languages I have recorded), but it helps me to have the English translation to understand what I have recorded, given I live in Australia.

I will most likely be doing my recordings by the end of the year.

Thanks for you help.

Addy

I believe that Tokyo Metro and Toei subways lines are bilingual. I believe that most of the current trainsets on JR East lines that traverse Tokyo are bilingual, too. The older 205 Series EMU that used to be common in the Tokyo area are Japanese-only from the zenmen tenbou videos I've seen.

bikkuri bahn

The JR East Tokyo area train announcements in English are voiced by Christelle Ciari (apparently her voice shows up in other areas too.) The shinkansen announcements and JR limited express ones are done by Donna Burke, an Australian (i.e. "...this is the Nozomi Super express...")

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1
bronzeonion

All of the modern Exxx type commuter EMUs on JR East feature bilingual automatic announcements as well as information screens. Remaining JR lines in Tokyo operated with 205 series trains are purely announced by the guard in Japanese only.