Russia in Miniature

IST

The whole layout is amazing. I think we might need something like that revolving train storage to keep changing the trains on the 8 lines on the HJMTC layout if it ever gets built.  :)

Unbelievable!! I was so surprised to see something like this in Russia.

I was also surprised to see a lot of women working on the layout....I like the "wooden buildings"

Okay when I got to the end of the video I can see why Ekaterina is a major part of the project....not only is she a talented artist but it seems like she's the only one who can stand and/or squat on the layout.

Edited by Bernard

Quite amazing and very cleaver bits to it! The film studio is a real stroke of genius for both allowing the pre revolutionary scenes and a whole slew of really fun scenes you normally can't do w/o looking silly! Kudos!

Always jealous at the level of detail you can do with HO scale and space!

The lines of blue led lights on the ceiling are also very cleaver to make the water surface ripple as you move a little!

Jeff

I wonder how the chickens move?

In the video, it can be seen that they are sitting on wires that move them. If these wires are fixed under the table with flexible joints and there is a rotating disk under that with a grooved surface that contains the bobbing patterns, then when you rotate the disk, the chickens will play back their program. You can also do the same thing with permanent magnets on a moving surface. Of course i'm just guessing. Imho it would be a bit harder to do the same in N scale though...

Yeah that technique works well to animate seemingly more random motion like that. Would be tough with n scale chickens though as they would be about 3mm max in size, but possible. When I have more time on my hands this is the kind of stuff I love to piddle with.

Jeff

Great video! I really like how the staff are out in front of the visitors working away on the railway, not sealed away in another room. Seems to make things a bit more personal and interactive.

Jeff - I give you permission to piddle......now all you have to do is find an building half the size of a football field to start your layout and your all set :)

Bernard was it you or Scott or both of you that we're creeped out by animations like these?

Have to start working on the building, I think that's about the size of our whole lot here!

Jeff