What countries are we from?

alpineaustralia

alpineaustralia

Well, let me give you guys more details about me.

Born in Egypt and came to Sydney, Australia as an infant about 39 years ago.

I can speak (but cannot read and write) Arabic.

And yes... before you ask....Egypt does have a train network.

• Like 1

Hi,

I am from Switzerland and live near to Zurich. Zurich is very well connected with trains nationally and internationally. The main station is one of the busiest in Europe so there are always many different trains to look at. It has an efficient commuter network with trains, trams, trollybusses etc. Its the city with the highest modal split for public transit in Europe and considered as a public transit model city. So i guess i got a good place to stay for a train lover.

P.S. I can speak German, English a little French and a bit Mandarin.

disturbman

I read your introductory post in another thread with great interest. French and German are my two favourite languages, and I admire anyone who speaks both. :)

Thanks but I don't deserve such praises since I was born in to french, I don't have any merrit. ;)

Admins, is there any way we can a flag icon next to our user names in a similar fashion as other boards have?

Then I think we will need more than one flag for each to show. We are a lot to be born in one place and to lived in another country. ;)

As some of you may have guest, im from Denmark, born i a town called Horsens in the main land of Jutland.

And for the languages i speak , Danish-English-German-Icelandic.

Icelandic, OUCH!  :o That one will make your brain hurt!

cheers

jeff

Icelandic, OUCH!  :o That one will make your brain hurt!

cheers

jeff

;D not really, i lived there for 7 years , so i had time to learn.It also have some connection to the Danish languages.

domino

As some of you may have guest, im from Denmark, born i a town called Horsens in the main land of Jutland.

I thank G-d that the Icelanders spoke English. Sadly, no trains there in Iceland. Plenty of puffins though. Not exactly a tasty bird, not fun to try and ride on either.

just heard it was one of the hardest languages to casually 'pick up'! not like listing to french tapes! It was the one selected for the savant guy to master in a couple of weeks as it was so nasty to get at all good with.

i envy your language abilities. mine are very stunted, mildly dyslexic so english can be a tussle for me and 4 yrs of french was the hardest class i ever had. except at the end in conversation was the only thing i could do well at by just piecing together the little i learned into something that could at least communicate. everyone else got hung up on making it perfect, but i could never even hope to retain enough gramme, rules, and vocabulary to get anywhere near perfect!

cheers,

jeff

I thank G-d that the Icelanders spoke English. Sadly, no trains there in Iceland. Plenty of puffins though. Not exactly a tasty bird, not fun to try and ride on either.

Thats right no trains, but they have about 100 meters of track, many years ago they wanted to see if it was possible to build a railway system there , but gave up quickly.

Puffins are the Icelandic national bird.

just heard it was one of the hardest languages to casually 'pick up'! not like listing to french tapes! It was the one selected for the savant guy to master in a couple of weeks as it was so nasty to get at all good with.

i envy your language abilities. mine are very stunted, mildly dyslexic so english can be a tussle for me and 4 yrs of french was the hardest class i ever had. except at the end in conversation was the only thing i could do well at by just piecing together the little i learned into something that could at least communicate. everyone else got hung up on making it perfect, but i could never even hope to retain enough gramme, rules, and vocabulary to get anywhere near perfect!

cheers,

jeff

Thanks for the nice words.

I have a "flair" for learning languages, some how they just come easy to me  ;)

domino

Tenorikuma

Newfoundland's provincial bird too. :) And Icelandic is a cool language but I have several others I need to get down first. It can't be any harder than Japanese at least.

[quote author=Shashinka Ichiban link=topic=1071.msg8983#msg8983 date=124363355

Newfoundland's provincial bird too. :) And Icelandic is a cool language but I have several others I need to get down first. It can't be any harder than Japanese at least.

I think that japanese if very diffucult for all non asian.

Like all scandinavien countries (Denmark-Sweden-Norway) we understand one another sort off  ;), but icelandic is very different than scandinavin languages, althoug there are similarity to especially the Danish languages, because Iceland once was under the Danish Kingdom, but during WW2 Iceland was seperated from Denmark because of German occupation in Denmark.

Thats right no trains, but they have about 100 meters of track, many years ago they wanted to see if it was possible to build a railway system there , but gave up quickly.

Man, do I have stories about Iceland, and one little one about Denmark. If I wasn't going to Asia, Scandinavia is always the next on the list.

Sushi Train

I'm a New Zealander, I live in Brisbane, Australia. I speak 5 languages, Kiwi, Aussie, American, Canadian and English.

Currently in Canberra, Australia.  Unfortunately the place has no trains!  For the previous 20 years I have lived in Sydney which has been my inspiration in rail.

http://www.conceptmodeltrains.com.au

That's surprising that a national capital has no trains...and unfortunate for a resident who likes them.  My condolences ;)

I'm from Canberra too, still living here... we do have trains.. you just have to find them!

But yes, this town does suck for railfans....

I'm a New Zealander, I live in Brisbane, Australia. I speak 5 languages, Kiwi, Aussie, American, Canadian and England.

LOL - In that case I speak 5 languages, Brooklynese, Yo Queens, New Yawk, da Bronx and Longs Island and none of them sound like English.

Man, do I have stories about Iceland, and one little one about Denmark. If I wasn't going to Asia, Scandinavia is always the next on the list.

Do tell ??

domino

Will save for another thread. I will say this, all the attractive Icelandic women work in the places where I least feel comfortable talk to them, LOL (Involving a certain notorious museum)

Thought I would add to this, I am from Fife on the North East coast of Scotland.  About 20 miles south of me is St Andrews (the home of golf) and we live on the South bank of the River Tay overlooking Dundee and from the bedroom window on my left is the Tay Rail Bridge and on the right, the road bridge. I am ex RAF so have been around a bit but am home now  :grin

Same here Lawrence, I just noticed it.

I'm Welsh,  a valleys boy from Caerfilli, but have spent the last 13 years in Canada, on the right hand coast in Nova Scotia.  Currently living in Dartmouth.  We do have a railway, in fact its the start of the transcontinental run, but only 1 passenger train a day (arrival and departure) and only about two freights (there is a little local switching traffic though) so it does suck a little.  Its nice to get home to South Wales and hang about on the main Cardiff --> London mainline

Graham

alpineaustralia

Dont we also have some one from Russia?

No one from Africa yet (unless you count my ancestral home) or South America.