Miniversum, Budapest

IST

Tomorrow a huge layout will open its doors to the visitors in Budapest, Hungary. Or 3 layouts. A guy figured out 2 years ago that he would like to build something similar to the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg or LOXX in Berlin, but with Hungarian, Austrian and German theme. It ended in 300 squaremeter sized layouts, 87 trains, more than 1 kilometer of track. And of course in H0.

Today was the presentation to the press and I was invited also due to my blog. I made some not to good photo (I got limited time from my workplace), and put it on my website. You can see it here:

http://vonatmagazin.blog.hu/2014/05/15/megnyilt_a_miniversum

But it has an own website also:

http://www.miniversum.hu

If you are visiting Budapest, I think it worth to watch the show.

• Like 3

I've see LOXX and will be visiting Miniatur Wunderland later in the year, now I want to go to Budapest as well.

In some ways this layout looks more realistic to me than LOXX or Miniatur Wunderland which sometimes seem to over do things. In videos I've seen of Miniatur Wunderland there appears to be a car crash or burning building on every street corner and the night scenes are ablaze with flashing lights of emergency vehicles everywhere.

Pretty amazing stuff! I like the bird flying away from its nest, and the terrain finishes are superbly done!

Wished I understood what they were talking though...

It's mostly about the concept, which is to start from Budapest and build towards the west first, so first to Austria and Germany. There is room for later expansion. Essentially this layout is made up of 3 layouts: a hungarian, an austrian and a german, but they are connected and trains go between them. Everything is automated, except small scenes which can be controlled by the visitors pushing various buttons. They also talk about some scenic compression that was required to fit everying they wanted to and the technic behind the automated operation. The Austrian main station is the new Vienna central station (a mixed commuter/high speed station) which is still under construction, but they built it according to the press drawings. (i've went 3 times through the real station that is still under construction, so i can tell, they really compressed the station's length and left out most of the surrounding tall buildings, probably because of visibility, just like in the miniatur wunderland) Generally they are at the stage where the miwula was when it was opened. There are lots of possibilites to expand and they can choose to either go further west towards France, south to Italy or north towards Poland. Around the end, they mention a few inside scenes which are not visible from the visitors side and were added for the adults looking at the layout from the service side.

• Like 1