Signalling on Kyūdai Main Line

Rail Announcement

Rail Announcement

Hello,

Can anyone tell me where the signalling on this line , especially in the Yoake area, is controlled from?

Thanks

Ochanomizu

Hello Rail Announcement,

Kyuudai Main Line is one of the most picturesque in Japan.  This is for two reasons:

Firstly, the beautiful terrain that the line passes through.  Most obvious, of course.

Secondly, the line is not electrified and has no catenary, poles, or posts to spoil the view.  All services are provided by DMU.

Now to your question of signalling: there is no visible signalling trackside.  Signalling uses automatic block detection and in-car display only.  So sorry, but to remain authentic, you should not model trackside signals for this line.  There is also no controller or control post.  The system is fully automated.  Further, you will note that services on the line are infrequent, usually with several hours between each service.

I hope you find this information useful.

• Like 1
Rail Announcement

Thanks for this.

I visited the line around Yoake and Ukiha a few years ago and took these pictures:  http://railpicturelibrary.zenfolio.com/p773535743/h3df210c8#h3df210c8

The DMU is passing a signal as it leaves the loop at Ukiha. Is this an automatic signal that clears to green once the track circuits have cleared following the passing of a train in the other direction?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Great photos, thanks for the link. In pictures 104 and 105, does that 0 series have a dining car in the set?

bikkuri bahn

The Kyuudai Line uses what's called a "restricted automatic block system" (特殊自動閉塞方式).  I'm not familiar with this particular line, so I can't comment specifically about it, but in general this system still uses signals located within station limits.  Only a limited section of the line is energized for train detection (the entrance and exit of station limits)- once the train traverses, for example the exit portion, the starter signals are all changed to red, and remain so until the train enters the next block (typically the next station with a passing loop).  Most of the track between stations is not energized for train detection.  This is completely fine for low-volume lines, and it is used as a cost saving measure.  On lines where even more cost saving is desired, the energized track is eliminated, and trackside signals are activated by an on-train radio with coded signals- this is used, for example on the Nemuro Main Line between Higashi Kushiro and Nemuro (which only sees 10 trains/day in each direction). I recall seeing the drivers carrying a special radio set with them when beginning their run, and installing the set in a slot next to and above their driving console. One effect of this system is that this portion of line is not connected with JR Hokkaido CTC in Sapporo, and thus is not governed by the PRC (programmed route control) which most lines are subject to.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1
Rail Announcement

Thanks for your answer.Much appreciated.

With regard to the question about a dining car- I'm not sure!

I presume that the signals have a signal post telephone, as they do in the UK, so , although the line operates on an automatic block system, would a driver be able to telephone a signalling centre if there was a problem and a signal had to be replaced to danger? In general would this be an entrance-exit type signal box as pictured here: http://railpicturelibrary.zenfolio.com/p565588551/h1382fdef#h1382fdef

Thanks again

JW

www.railannouncement.com

bikkuri bahn

Yes, I think they have either telephones and/or radio communication with a center, should a problem come up.

Rail Announcement

Thank you.

The railway around Yoake and Ukiha is so lovely and, although the traction is rather limited, I could stay at the lineside all day just watching the local trains pass every hour ! The people are so friendly too and although my Japanese is limited it is always possible to have a conversation of sorts with the people I meet in the countryside.

JW

www.railannouncement.com

That special radio is a british invention. It can receive and transmit line tokens. They are used to lock a whole line between two stations. Sometimes even a whole branchline for a single train. This system replaces classic tokens and all signal boxes and lineside phones. In case of a problem, danger can be signalled from any signal post by disconnecting the comms cable which drops all signals on the whole line to red. Afaik the cab radio is standard on every train, including some really old (1930ies) rolling stock. (at least it can be seen both on older and newer photos)

ps: a newer version of this cab radio is used in north america, where gps signals and passive lineside transmitters can be used for rolling block signalling with in cab signals only (physical signals are only used as a backup and only around major junctions)