Rail Wars, 1st Promo is up

I wonder what time period is this anime--is it the equivalent of contemporary times? What will the Shinkansen trainsets be like in this anime? Will we have 700 Series Shinkansen trainsets where the company logo is not JR, but the old stylized JNR logo?

Hello Mr Sacto 1985,

Rail Wars! takes place in an alternate Japan, where the railways were never privatized.  This fact alone relieves the need to portray the rolling stock realistically.  I believe Rail Wars! will appeal to the anime fan more than the rail fan.

Set today but using 70s/80s rolling stock.

If the have kept the JNR together, we would still have those rolling stock up and running. For example the kumoha12 series were used from 1933 to 2002 on an urban line in Tokyo. Afaik one of the posters for railwars has one, so JNR would never did what JR east choose with their recyclable trains. Partly due to lack of capital and due to a different company culture.

http://www.suyongso.com/files/attach/images/359/505/809/004/db0e971c1bba06d5e495feb48e6ff40d.jpg

(the station sign says Okawa and this is where the last 12 series trains ran in real life)

If the have kept the JNR together, we would still have those rolling stock up and running. For example the kumoha12 series were used from 1933 to 2002 on an urban line in Tokyo. Afaik one of the posters for railwars has one, so JNR would never did what JR east choose with their recyclable trains. Partly due to lack of capital and due to a different company culture.

http://www.suyongso.com/files/attach/images/359/505/809/004/db0e971c1bba06d5e495feb48e6ff40d.jpg

(the station sign says Okawa and this is where the last 12 series trains ran in real life)

I think it is to do as you said with the company.  JR Kyushu have no issue using the old Kihas.  And I'm not referring to their well known joyful trains.  Just watching the Train Cruise NHK episodes from 2013, you can see Kiha 23s 45s 66s 67s in white with the blue stripes from the JNR to JR transfer period in the background on platforms and opposing lines.  Cannot say for other JR companies though.

Edited by katoftw

JR West, Shikoku and Hokkaido also still use a lot of JNR rolling stock. But they're slowly decreasing as they are becoming outdated.

Seen a few trailers recently while over there, and the show is shaping up to be something Im going to get in to. Not as a railfan but as an otaku.