"Super Hakuchō" limited express, Aomori to Hakodate

Sacto1985

I found the full-length zenmen tenbou video done by YouTube member HKASAMA of the trip on the Super Hakuchō limited express from Aomori to Hakodate Stations:

Aomori to Kanita:

Kanita to Kikonai through the Seikan Tunnel:

(NOTE: This video has been posted before.)

Kikonai to Hakodate:

Savor this, because as of March 2016, this trip will be replaced by the Hokkaido Shinkansen train from Shin-Aomori to Shin Hakodate Stations.

I tried getting some video like this on my last few trips to Hokkaido but since the late 2000's JR Hokkaido has blocked off public access to the wiindow looking out of the front of the trains due to level crossing accidents.

Don't get me wrong, but if the current single tracked part on the Esashi line can serve both passenger and freight demands, then why do they build a double tracked, high speed, passenger only shinkansen line on the exact same route? Is this financially viable?

You will probably find the Hakodate Shinkansen is being heavily subsidised by the government and the Esashi Line will be sold by JR Hokkaido to a third sector railway with just a minimal local service remaining.

You will probably find the Hakodate Shinkansen is being heavily subsidised by the government and the Esashi Line will be sold by JR Hokkaido to a third sector railway with just a minimal local service remaining.

I think JR Hokkaido may hang on to the current rail line between Hakodate and the Seikan Tunnel because of the demands of JR Freight, which does run a good number of trains through the tunnel.

I think JR Hokkaido may hang on to the current rail line between Hakodate and the Seikan Tunnel because of the demands of JR Freight, which does run a good number of trains through the tunnel.

That didn't stop JR East selling the Tohoku Main Line when the Shinkansen was extended north of Morioka, since then it seems to have become the normal practice when new Shinkansen lines are built.

So the idea of the JR companies is to keep only the shinkansen lines and the inner city commuter lines? Because this sounds like a rather weak business modell, especially when the subsidies run out for the not too profitable shinkansen lines. Not to mention that if only a single 3rd sector company runs into financial trouble, that could cut off a large part of the JR freight network, creating problems for the affected industries. For me, this strategy seems like a short sighted one.

So the idea of the JR companies is to keep only the shinkansen lines and the inner city commuter lines? Because this sounds like a rather weak business modell, especially when the subsidies run out for the not too profitable shinkansen lines. Not to mention that if only a single 3rd sector company runs into financial trouble, that could cut off a large part of the JR freight network, creating problems for the affected industries. For me, this strategy seems like a short sighted one.

I can understand this, but the Iwate Galaxy and Aomori railway lines still exist not only to serve local passenger traffic, but because they used to be part of the Tōhoku Main Line, they're still well-maintained due to the regular JR Freight traffic that uses these lines for freight traffic to and from Hokkaido through the Seikan Tunnel.

It's a bit off topic, but i traced the path of the Hokkaido shinkansen. I've found the path between Shin Aomori and the Seikan tunnel on google maps and the construction between Shin Hakodate and Kikonai on bing maps. I understand that the line will be dual gauge just from the south enterance to Kikonai with the west part of the Esahi line closed. So far it seems Shin Hakodate is very far out from Hakodate, so it will need a transfer service similar to an airport shuttle.

I agree it seems like there are some weaknesses in this, but I'll make the bold assumption that there are safeguards of one kind or another to prevent the total closure of these lines.  After JNR built them, and the taxpayers paid them off (well, considering JNR's debt this probably hasn't happened yet :grin), it would be a waste to close them.  Maybe JRF would take ownership of them for little cost, or something like that.  That would still not provide any kind of passenger service, though.  Maybe that would be allowed to end.

So it looks like the actual branch section of the Esashi Line beween Kikonai and Esashi will remain as an isolated portion of JR Hokkaido.

bikkuri bahn

So it looks like the actual branch section of the Esashi Line beween Kikonai and Esashi will remain as an isolated portion of JR Hokkaido.

Unfortunately, that section will be closed next month.  They are already advertising Esashi Line memorial DVDs on TV here in Hokkaido.

The Next Station Is...

It's a bit off topic, but i traced the path of the Hokkaido shinkansen. I've found the path between Shin Aomori and the Seikan tunnel on google maps and the construction between Shin Hakodate and Kikonai on bing maps. I understand that the line will be dual gauge just from the south enterance to Kikonai with the west part of the Esahi line closed. So far it seems Shin Hakodate is very far out from Hakodate, so it will need a transfer service similar to an airport shuttle.

I can confirm this, having travelled the route about 3 weeks ago and seeing some of the Shinkansen route in the flesh!

bikkuri bahn
So far it seems Shin Hakodate is very far out from Hakodate, so it will need a transfer service similar to an airport shuttle.

The section of track between Shin Hakodate (interim name) and Hakodate will be electrified.  There will be a "relay" kaisoku service utilizing 3 car trainsets- it is surmised they will be 735 series, perhaps fitted with box seats.  As there will only be 4 of these trainsets purchased, there are some who question if they would be able to handle the possible passenger loads coming off a 10 car shinkansen train.  There is talk of possibly allowing shinkansen passengers to ride limited express services (such as the Super Hokuto) for no extra fare between the two stations.

Unfortunately, that section will be closed next month.  They are already advertising Esashi Line memorial DVDs on TV here in Hokkaido.

This is why I take new Shinkansen lines with a grain of salt, we lose so much else in the process.

• Like 2