The Tenshodo Z scale C62

kevsmiththai

kevsmiththai

I know this model has been out for a while but I finally picked up a Tenshodo C62 4-6-4 and some coaches at last years Zedex convention. I had not done anything with them over the winter but the recent exhibition at Nottingham, where we were showing 'Shasta' our Southern Pacific layout, encouraged me to take it along to give it a run in public. Shasta had recently had an eight page feature in Continental Modeller magazine and was 'Plan of the Month' so people had come to the show specifically to see it. All of them were impressed with the C62 and it has prompted me to do a review and also an introductory video (see later)

C621copy_zps89a70dcb.jpg

For those unaware the C62 was Japans largest and fastest Steam passenger locomotive, Introduced in 1948 the class evetntually totalled 49 examples and one set a speed record of 80 mph in 1954 which must have been quite exciting on 3'6" gauge track!

C62_zpsefdf0ec5.jpg

The class were all finally withdrawn in 1973 but three examples survived into preservation

C624_zpsbc7707bb.jpg

The model follows the dimension closely apart from the obvious problem of it being modelled to 4'8 1/2 " gauge. This results in the tender trucks and running gear being a bit wide but in all other regards the look is spot on!

IMG_9666_zps5b05bc3b.jpg

More soon

Kev

• Like 1
kevsmiththai

The model has the motor and flywheel in the tender driving the loco drivers via a cardan shaft through the cab. Full valve gear and blackened wheel rims add to the realism as do the seperately applied brass whistles and safety valves. Only the headlight is illuminated but the cab is flush glazed.

IMG_9665_zpse76fdb75.jpg

As delivered the tender has the mini Rapido style coupling and an MTL-AZL compatible one on the front, these can be altered by the user.

The model is presented in the standard Tenshodo Z box and packaging

IMG_9669_zps432025e7.jpg

Running quality is superb with a very low bottom speed but the loco is a bit light on its feet notwithstanding the Tungsten boiler weight. It only managed to pull four of the brown Tenshodo coaches before slipping but seven of the blue ones, I suspect that may be more to do with the coaches.

Video, which tells you much more than my writen waffle ever could, can be found at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anbXB9iVEqM&feature=share&list=UUI6p-eLL5zX3K226z27Josg

Most remarkbly the price is ultra competetive and i'm certainly getting to do a Japanese Z gauge layout at some stage in the future

Cheers

Kev

Every time I see one of these, or the D51, in a hobby shop I'm tempted to start dabbling in yet another scale, not to mention all the neat stuff from Rohukan.

On the electric trains I drive here in Brisbane there is a computer with a touch screen for setting up the destination signs and automatic public address announcements and viewing the CCTV.  When it boots up from a cold start a flash screen comes up with a moving image of the running gear of a steam loco.  I was looking at it one day and realised I knew what it was.

post-182-0-09711700-1395529978_thumb.jpg

Edited by westfalen
  • Like 2