Tomix Lighting Old and New Comptability

The Next Station Is...

The Next Station Is...

I'm thinking of dropping in some interior lighting into my Tomix E231-0 Sobu train (92245). I'm trying to get my head around which lighting kit to get - the instruction leaflet mentions 0786 or 0783/0784 or 0755/0756.

With a little bit of research I think the 0786 kit has been replaced by the 0733 LED kit. I'd be grateful if anybody could confirm my understanding is correct!

I also note Tomix's CL system; are kits advertised as CL compatible only for use with Tomix CL controllers? I wouldn't have thought so but again just want to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by The Next Station Is...

I also note Tomix's CL system; are kits advertised as CL compatible only for use with Tomix CL controllers? 

Without CL they are just normal lighting. Actually, any DC based CL controller should work, but you should avoid using anything that is AC based, especially if your train has directional head and tail lights.

Yes, the 0733 is the LED version that replaced the bulb-based 0786, HS's listing makes that pretty clear. Both of these are "narrow" sets with "white" lights to replicated fluorescent lighting, and probably a good choice for an E231.  Tomix doesn't specify what color should be used; the instruction sheet (see here) lists all three kinds.

The 0755 is a bulb-based "interior" (meaning incandescent light, or warm-color) suitable for older cars. It's probably not a good choice for a modern EMU like the E231.  It's also a "narrow" style. I'm pretty sure that the 0734 is the LED replacement for it.

The 0783 part is a Continuous Lighting (CL) set, meaning it is for layouts with CL power packs (which superimpose AC for lights on the track). I think those will work with ordinary DC also, though I'm not sure about DCC, but in any case they seem to be out of production.

I'd use 0733.

meaning it is for layouts with CL power packs (which superimpose AC for lights on the track)

I'm not 100% sure, but afaik Tomix never used AC for CL circuits, because that would defeat directional lights. So far all CL circuits i've seen that supports directional lights used high frequency DC PWM with low pulse width. This means circuits made especially for this type of lighting work well with DCC. (on the other hand, high frequency PWM based CL is bad for some cheaper decoders)

Maybe someone with a Tomix CL power pack and a scope could give us some info on this?

ps: I would go with the warm white leds for old cars and the cold white leds for new cars, both should be CL compatible.

Merely as an alternative, FModels makes "illumi" lights that fits Tomix and MicroAce. I was given a free sample which I tried with my Tomix Kamome Express and im happy with it. They're even a bit cheaper than Tomix.

I am now waiting on for them to get more stocks so I could fit lights in my 800 Tsubame shinkansen.

Mardon