Tomix viaduct station

Sinus

Hi,

I am just wondering if it is possible to build 6 track viaduct station by using standard Tomix viaudct elements. Both ends of the station should end with double track. The track scheme I expect to be sth. like this:

post-1867-0-77405200-1393247887_thumb.jpg

Island platforms are located between two most outer tracks. Tomix viaduct parts I found are: 3066 (for turnouts), 3062 (for 55.5mm track space) and 3061 (for 37mm track space).

Any ideas? I guess I saw something similar on one of the videos posted in our forum but can't find it any more.

Cheers,

Sinus

Do you have think about 3D print ?

You buy Tomix 3066  & Tomix 3061 and you copy dimension, ... to print it in 3D with your dimension.

It's difficult to realize this put possible.

No, no experience with 3D printing at all, and no access to any 3D printer. But interesting idea, thanks. Hmmm, even very interesting. 

No, I didn't. I don't have any viaduct station elements hence my question, otherwise I would have checked it out by myself. And I don't want to buy it before I am sure I can get what I want.

Hi Sinus:

I'm guessing it's doable, but i'm not sure. Here's what I can foresee, might be wrong though. Those with more experience can elaborate or correct me:

I have Tomix overhead tracks and shinkansen station, but I only have 4 lines, with two island platforms in-between, so I guess it looks somewhat like this (See attached first picture - Sorry didn't know how to post the picture here nor get it to show up)

From the picture, you can further increase the PR(L)541-15-55.5 further to become six lines instead of 4. Each one expands 1 line into 2, so on both sides, 2 becomes 4 (for 1 set) then 4 becomes 6 (for 2 set) which is what you desire.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10072575

From there, you can then place in 4 platform stations in-between the lines.

Then, you'll be needing these: S140-55.5, plently of them. Each set gives you 2, so depending on how far you want to stretch your stations, then multiply that by 1.5 (since 1 set is 2 for 4 lines, so 1.5 for 6 lines) for each length of S140 (140mm) of track. So, if you desire parking a 8-car consists like mine, you'll be needing about 24 pieces of these S140-55.5 AFTER the PR(L)541-15-55.5 to nicely park in the 8-car shinkansen. Do note the N700 finds a little more problem as it is much longer, so the nose is poking out of the station.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10028718

After that, repeat the PR(L)541-15-55.5 on the other end to joint back to the viaduct double tracks.

That's for the overhead platforms. Do note you still require these: Concrete Pier set for supporting the entire structure.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10009757

And also these: Side Walls for Overhead Railway station to close up for that finishing look.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10028716

That's for the elevated platform side.

I think the tracks portion will be much easier. Simply follow the profile of the elevated platform and order the tracks repectively to match in.

I hope i'm making sense here as it's kinda hard to explain in words. Let me know if you need some pictures from my layout since I think what you're trying to achieve is somewhat similar to my double track station, just add an additional bulk for that 5&6 track.

post-819-0-33121900-1395050968_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi JR500,

Thanks a lot for the answer.

I have Tomix overhead tracks and shinkansen station, but I only have 4 lines, with two island platforms in-between, so I guess it looks somewhat like this (See attached first picture - Sorry didn't know how to post the picture here nor get it to show up)

From the picture, you can further increase the PR(L)541-15-55.5 further to become six lines instead of 4. Each one expands 1 line into 2, so on both sides, 2 becomes 4 (for 1 set) then 4 becomes 6 (for 2 set) which is what you desire.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10072575

Yes, I saw the thread about your layout with mixed kato and tomix track. I really enjoyed watching it.

This part above is what worries me most and I am not sure if it works. This part (541-15-55.5) has one pin on the narrow side and two pins on the wide part. If we combine two such parts then one pin out of two on wide side will be used. What should be attached to the second pin? Assuming second symmetrical platform, there are two such "free" pins so they could be connected with S140-37 (or 55.5) but then there is a problem with fences.

Cheers, 

Sinus

Hi Sinus:

Thanks for the compliment!

I know what you meant. Didn't think about that carefully, but now I see it still can work.

You're right about that part (let's call that part the turnout slab, shall we?) having 1 pin on one end and 2 on the other. Usually, 1 pin connects to one part of the double track viaduct, the 2 pins connect to the S140 slab piece. Now, if you were to connect yet another turnout slab with the 1 pin, you get another track out.

So what do you do to the other free pin?

If you see, you have 4 pins poking out from the turnout slab. One pin goes to another turnout slab, both top and bottom. That leave 2 remaining pins, which can then fit into a S140 slab piece. So the S140 slab pieces goes in-between the turnout slabs. Kinda hard to explain, but I think you can visualise from the diagram.

The walls will be tricky, as the S140 slab caters for width of 2 tracks and a Tomix station platform. Not sure if you'll like the large gap in between the tracks before the platform comes up, but shouldn't pose a major problem..

Hoped i'm right about that. (My visualisation can sometimes go very wrong  :)  )

Hi,

I have created simple drawing in Paint basing on tomix docs. Do you mean this variant?:

post-1867-0-69581600-1395067931_thumb.jpg

I can see the following problems here: (1a) spacing between double track bridge and outer double track with platform (1b) all spacing is the same 55.5 which makes space for three platforms. (1c) I guess it may be an issue with placing second turnout, i.e., connection of the two turnout slabs: if it connects to straight track it is wrong angle, if it connects to curve there might be very little space in the area of join.

Second drawing is what I imagined at the beginning. It matches more my initial track plan:

post-1867-0-63908000-1395067932_thumb.jpg

But in this case I am not sure if: (2a) pins will match (2b) what part should be placed in the middle - from those rough pictures it seems that S140-37 may be too wide. 

In both solutions there is an issue with fences.

Anyway, I guess that looking at drawings is like reading the tea leaves.

Cheers,

Sinus

The standard parts won't really work in this case, since the straight parts can't be connected easily to the first idea. The second might work, but to use the platforms, you will have to cut off the inner side walls and fill in any gaps that this modification creates. The pins also won't match, so you will probably have to cut them off and glue the parts together. However the 2nd idea will work with the turnout geometry and you will end up with a station that has 2 island platforms and 2 side platforms.

Personally, i think it might be easier and cheaper to just build it yourself from sratch and only buy the platforms, but the 2nd layout can be kitbashed from the viaduct station parts. 

post-1969-0-49720100-1396009895_thumb.png

There is another option, by using your first track layout and instead of the station baseplates, you can use elevated track plates in the middle. (they are narrower and should fit) Then you would only have to match the pins at the junction of the two triangle shaped plates, since everything else would match. The result will be a station with 2 island platforms and 2 through tracks in the middle. Just fill in the gaps and file off the unneeded side walls in the middle.

Edited by kvp

thanks for suggestions. I will look closer into elevated track. As I don't build permanent layouts I prefer not to glue anything.

Another option I consider is to use Kato elevated station and connect kato track with fine track. Is such configuration (2 islands platforms + 2 through tracks in the middle) easy to achive in case of Kato?

Edited by Sinus

thanks for suggestions. I will look closer into elevated track. As I don't build permanent layouts I prefer not to glue anything.

Another option I consider is to use Kato elevated station and connect kato track with fine track. Is such configuration (2 islands platforms + 2 through tracks in the middle) easy to achive in case of Kato?

Be carefoul if you do that, Kato and Tomix track spacing is different (33vs37 mm), there is a thread here in the forum from Zibbu a french user that was able to use the Kato stations (with kato track spacing) using tomix tracks, but involved using 18.5mm and 33mm tracks in an appropiate way to achieve the same spacing as kato tracks.

Sinus,

the kato plates are 98mm wide and the side wall adds another 6mm to the internal bottom width. there is a standard configuration for having two kato island platforms using unitrak in a double plate wide kato station configuration, so i think you could probably squeeze in the extra 4mm having the center kato tracks at tomix spacing and doing the rest as kato spacing. there is a height difference tomix to kato so you would either need to raise up the kato station supports or make your own blocks of wood or such to hold the kato platforms at tomix height. the plates hook together with S joiners and you can put them in with the nib down to clip onto kato platform supports or nib up to be flat underneath.

the platforms are not cheap, like $12 each with side walls so to build a larger station it can get expensive. station sets will get you more cheaper if you can get a good deal on them on ebay sometimes.

you could think of making your own station bits that you could just plop down. we did this for the first jrm layout where we built the layout on the fly with loose track each time like you do on your floor layouts. I just had 3 station sections 1m long that were 4 tracks wide. while at it you cold make 4 and 6 track station widths so you could mix and match. just put a couple of dowel pegs between each station bit to hold them together flat.

To do this you need to have a flat top surface and support structures under them to keep them flat. using wood can be an issue as with time most all wood at the size of even 1m x 22cm will warp some. you can help stop this by building a support structure under the top to keep it flat. also sealing the whole thing well will help with warping due to humidity changes over time. 12mm 7 or 9 ply high grade plywood is probably the best stuff out there to do something like this. having walls running down the length of each station bit and a few cross pieces will make something very flat and sturdy if you build it nice and flat to begin with. you can cover the walls with station front facades by taking tomix or kato viaduct station and slicing off the front and back 12-24mm worth and just gluing on the facades to double your station for your euro.

there is another technique for making the station tops by laminating masonite, foamcore and formica. this makes a super flat and rigid top that is light weight and the kato station sides can pop right onto this configuration. takes more work though. I have one old station bit that is 1.4m x 25cm and only has 1.5mm aluminum L stock (18mm on a side) on each edge for low station walls and a bit of support. 10 years old now and still totally flat.

more info here:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/2406-making-kato-viaduct-platforms/

cheers

jeff

Yes, I know Kato has different track spacing and height. Therefore, as I wrote above, I am considering Kato viaducts + Kato tracks. At some point it could be connected with FineTrack by conversion track (by Kato). So my question is if it is easy to achive my original track plan by using standard Kato components for elevated station + Kato track (I am not bothered about track plan at this point)?