DCC and EL interference?

nik_n_dad

we are planning on adding some of the animated EL signs from miller engineering to our layout.

http://www.microstru.com/Billboards.html

I was wondering if anyone has used these on their DCC layouts?  When you turn them on, there's a significant audible noise as they switch on and off.  I wasn't sure if this in anyway would interfere with the DCC signalling, or if there was something we can do for isolation.

Thanks in advance

They seems to be powered by a high voltage, low current driver. (i have an alarm clock backlight with the same technology and it literally sings when turned on) My advice would be to separate them from the DCC wiring. So the two types of wire never come near each other and keep at least 10 cm (4 inches) distance between its wires and signs and any DCC powered wire or piece of track. When powered from mains instead of batteries, use a separate wall adapter with smooth DC output. Other than that, they should be ok, since they don't radiate an electrical field as much as the DCC wiring does when not routed in twisted wire pairs. If you are worried by the driver circuit, then enclose it in a metal box and preferably locate it near the sign it's driving and only route the filtered dc power through your layout to the box.