Kato concrete tracks

katoftw

So looking at the concrete track.  Cos I wanted to make my Shinkansens more photo.  But everything else is wooden.  Anyone else think the wooden and concrete mixed together looks wacky?

Try the mixture of Wooden, Concrete tie sleeper with the Concrete slab track for a photo shoot. Sadly there is no single concrete tie sleeper track out from KATO Uni-Track other than the 248mm version where I would like to see other variants to them like a 124mm, 186mm and a 62mm similar to the wooden sleeper version. I know I would need to buy more Concrete slab track for the Shinkansens to give it that realistic look for the photo shoot.

• Like 1
Try the mixture of Wooden, Concrete tie sleeper with the Concrete slab track for a photo shoot. Sadly there is no single concrete tie sleeper track out from KATO Uni-Track other than the 248mm version where I would like to see other variants to them like a 124mm, 186mm and a 62mm similar to the wooden sleeper version. I know I would need to buy more Concrete slab track for the Shinkansens to give it that realistic look for the photo shoot.

Considering that much of the Japanese rail network, even branch lines, uses concrete sleepers it has always surprised me that kato doesn't make a wider range.

• Like 2
Considering that much of the Japanese rail network, even branch lines, uses concrete sleepers it has always surprised me that kato doesn't make a wider range.

This change happened only recently, like in the last 20 years or so. For anyone modelling something older, the wooden track is the norm. During the transition years, it was common (and in europe it is still common) to see the wooden sleepers replaced during reconstruction with only the switches remaining on wood. And for station tracks, it's common to see concrete slabs, with concrete sleepers for the rest of the station.

Mudkip Orange

Mixture is pretty common. You might have a mainline that was retracked with concrete while sidings and whatnot remain wood.

They do make a 124mm concrete tie single track piece, but it's only available as part of the V15 set (stooopid).

And for station tracks, it's common to see concrete slabs, with concrete sleepers for the rest of the station.

Yet kato offer the concrete tie slabs for all sections of track.  weird.

So mostly we all agree it is stooopid the concrete track situation.  Hopefully in the future Kato make some more concrete track pieces.  Even if it was just the #6 points and S124s, as those are common for Shinkansen tracks/viaducts sections.  Curves are already sorted by Kato.