Tomix Shinkansen issues

ChrisV

Hi again

Well after getting my mini layout up and running its time for the problems. ::)

Firstly - my Tomix Hikari Railstar set is the first culprit. Running one way is fine - change directions then it starts to cough and splutter after a few loops then stops. With a nudge its off again but stops again in a matter of moments. I've cleaned the track - run another Tomix 700 series powercar around with no difficulties - and checked the wiring of the track. Matter unresolved! >:(

Could it be loose wiring or does it need oiling?

Any help!?

Secondly - my Kato N700 shinkansen power car sounds like a diesel. Its louder than the wheels on the track? Anyone else have the same problem.

Apart from that the rest of the fleet are fine -

if anyone can assist with some ideas that would be great...thanks.

Chis - I've been thinking about your problem and was wondering when was the last time you were able to run your trains? If they have been sitting for a while they might need a good lube and cleaning. With the Railstar I would open it up check the and oil the gears in the trucks, hand spin it a few times then oil the points on the motor and if possible check just the motor directly with the transformer. Change directions and see how it responds. This will narrow down the problem if it's in the motor or the trucks binding. When putting it back together check that all electrical points are making contact.

As for the Kato N700, my Kato Komome also growls, but again, this might be a case of applying oil to to the trucks and motor, it couldn't hurt doing this. Sometimes, you do get a loud sounding motor.

Good luck.