J.N.R. Limited Express Train Series 485 (Kuha 481-300)

upwpfan

Folks;

I noticed that Hobby Search had the 1/80 Tomix models of this train for sale. I would like to know more about it. Here are my questions;

- When did this train operate and where?

- Besides the 4 basic set, what additional cars would I need to complete an accurate consist?

- Does any one have experience with this model? (quality, accuracy etc.)

I may have ridden this train during my youth (I lived in Japan in the early 60's) not sure..... 

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Jere Ingram

- When did this train operate and where?

Between 1964 and today, everywhere in Japan on the JNR network where there were overhead wires. (it's a AC/DC 50/60 Hz train, so it can go everywhere)

- Besides the 4 basic set, what additional cars would I need to complete an accurate consist?

Anything you like, there are more valid 485 consists than blue train variations.

I would add the 3 expansion sets, because they belong to the same consist that run in 1975 as the Hakusan express. The N scale version is 12 cars long, so some of the car pairs were present multiple times in the consist. (two of the expansion sets are actually the same cars, just one of them has a motor installed, so you can choose the motor or trailer version based on your layout's slopes, but both look like motor cars)

Personally, for a correct consist, i would check the N scale version and assemble that in H0 from the expansion sets. (or shorten it if you don't want a long train)

This train has at least 10 coaches and is made in 2009, but it could have been 1969:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/JRW_485_series_konko_extra_train_kurashiki.jpg/798px-JRW_485_series_konko_extra_train_kurashiki.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/485_series

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1

I'm sorry but I have to correct a few points, KVP, hope you don't mind.

When did this train operate and where?

Between 1964 and today, everywhere in Japan on the JNR network where there were overhead wires. (it's a AC/DC 50/60 Hz train, so it can go everywhere)

yes and no, the first (481系) formations/cars where indeed delivered in 1964 followed by the 485系 in 1968 and the 489系 in 1971.

However all cars build before 1972 still used the original 151系/181系 'bonnet' style nose, while the cars produced from 1972 on where delivered with the second generation angular nose section based on the 581系/583系 sleeper EMU introduced from 1967 onwards (the front section of both is similar, even though the 581系/583系 uses a different cross section), which was introduced to the J.N.R. standard limited express design by the introduction of the 1500V DC 183系 in 1972. This arrangement allowed for a front door to installed allowing passage between two coupled formations, though this feature was abolished with later sub-types, this design was kept until the end of production in 1979.

So the Tomix model, which is marketed as a 485系300番台 (though it also includes 0番台, 200番台 and 600番台 cars) is of the version introduced in 1974 and should be usable till the end of J.N.R. in April 1987, though the series is as mentioned still in use today (at least the later 1000番台 and 1500番台, I'm not 100% positive there are still 0番台 in service, though there where a few 6 car formations still in use by JR West as late as 2013 if I recall correctly). The areas this model was used depend on the formation chosen, though as a rule of thumb they where/are mostly used in the areas of Japan close to 1500V DC / 20,000V 50/60hz borders, so they where mainly used on the Tōkyō (Ueno, actually) -> Tōhoku/Hokuriku express services (using an EF63形 locomotive for the Usui pass section) and the Tōhoku/Hokuriku area in general. And between Ōsaka and Kyūshū.

Anything you like, there are more valid 485 consists than blue train variations.

True, though as with all large J.N.R. series you have to keep a watchful eye on the sub-types used for specific trains. Though J.N.R. was working extensively to standardize it's fleet from the early 1960's onward, they still build a large variety of specific sub-types used for specific applications (for example the KuHa/SaLo 489形 used on the Usui pass trains) which is may make it somewhat harder to fit your model to the specific prototype you may have in mind (if you care for that kind of thing of course :)).

depends on the version you want to model, the version you selected (with KuHa481 end cars) can be used to replicate the Hakuchō limited express service between Ōsaka and Aomori this is the correct formation:

ho094_hl.gif

more info:

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/ho/ho094.htm

If you want the Usui pass version it's:

ho095_hl.gif

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/ho/ho095.htm

hope this helps!

-Sander

• Like 2

KVP / Sander

Thank you for the info. Looks like I have my work cut out for me putting an accurate consist together. Whew!!! 12 car passenger train in HO will be expensive!

Regards

Jere Ingram

G'day Jere!

I have an eight-car consist of these cars with a pair of the original Series 151/181 cabs. Based on comparisons with photos and video they appear to be very accurate. The quality of the models is very good, as you would expect. Detail, finish and performance are all excellent. Be prepared to spend some quality modelling time fitting all the detail parts and applying the car numbers and markings - there are lot of them.

Cheers,

Mark.

Folks;

Got very very very close to pulling the trigger on the Tomix Kiha 485 train set...however, I noticed that the Japan World was having a sale on the Zoukei Mura JR Shinkasen Bullet Train sets (basic set and add on set A).

I have lusted after these since their release and decided I had to have one to help round out my high speed collection. I hope I am not getting burned here...

Has any one purchased these and what has been your experience? How hard will it be to install DCC in them....Kato's new drive system (which is being used in their E5's) does not make DCC installs easy. I hope the Zoukei Mura makes it easier. What say you?

Regards

Jere Ingram