viaduct platform extension (Kato) dimensions?

mageus

Can someone please post the measured dimensions for the viaduct platform extension?  Specifically, width (to the outer edge of the walls) and height of the 2 wall sets (from the base of the viaduct).  There is conflicting data out there.

For example, Newhall lists:

- width - 113mm

- tall wall height - 55mm

- short wall height - 35.5(?) mm

TIA.

Takahama Trainwatcher

Short wall piece: Width is 113 mm measured at the base of the walls. At the top of the walls it is 110.5 mm.

Will try to measure the rest later.

-TTW

Edited by Takahama Trainwatcher

magnus,

plates themselves

98mm wide

10mm high

247.3mm long

with tall walls

112.5mm wide at plate 

113mm wide at top

53mm high from bottom of plate

55mm high from bottom of wall - the wall sections wrap under the plate about 5mm and stick down about 2mm.

short walls

113mm wide at plate

111mm wide at top of wall (they slope in just a tad)

34mm high from bottom of plate

35.5mm high from bottom of wall - again the wrap around of the wall under the plate some.

cheers

jeff

Thanx, guys!

Jeff,

So, is the wall section 5mm thick?  Or is it that the wall section is 5mm where it connects to the base plate, but the wall itself is 1mm thick?

Also, are the walls molded to curve inwards, or is it a manufacturing/tolerance issue?

Lastly, is the bottom of the plate flush with the bottom of a connecting viaduct?  I'm trying to figure out how thick my base plate needs to be if it sits on top of a standard pier.

wall section at the base has a thick portion just under 7mm wide that is about half the height of the base plate that is flush with the top and then a thin 1mm L going down around the bottom of the plate.

walls above are about 1.1mm thick

walls tilt in just a tad on the high ones and a bit more on the short ones. all seem to be that way by design.

yes the S joiners line up the bottom of the plate and the viaduct to be flush. but the walls will extend down a tad with the wrap around at the edge. but this is outside the area of where the double viaduct attaches. i can snap a pict of the end of one of these for you later today if you want.

jeff

I've received the stock viaduct and built my DIY straight viaduct sections (both double track and platform width).  I routed the bottom of the viaduct bases to accept S-joiners.  You can connect to an adjacent stock viaduct piece that has S-joiners installed.  You can also use a pier with S-joiners installed.  Obviously the S-joiner doesn't 'click' into the DIY viaduct floor, but the slot is deep enough to hold it in place with gravity.

I cut the slots in the platform piece to line up with adjacent stock double track viaduct (I've got double track that diverges to one side to fit an island platform).  However, this yields a platform width less than 113mm.  Do the platform viaduct walls overlap a connected double track viaduct's walls?

I'm assuming there are 5 slots at the bottom of the platform viaduct to accept a pier layed out crosswise (rather than longitudinally, as with double viaduct).

mageus,

when you get the viaduct station kit (and maybe in the plate extension kit (cant remember for sure) you get little end plates to make a low wall that will fill in from the wall into the double viaduct piece on the end of the 2x plate end.

are you asking if there are things on the viaduct plates to connect piers to? if so then yes the piers attach to the S joiners at your plate junctions.

jeff