Shinkansen Delays

A friend brought to my attention this video by nimo5, seems like lineside cables were damaged by a fire yesterday.

From what I read on the Japan Today website, what happened was a major fire broke out at small pachinko parlour in a building right next to the Tokaidō Main LIne/Tokaidō Shinkansen tracks near JR East Yurakucho Station, the first JR East Station west of Tokyo Station on the Yamanote Line. Because of the scale of the fire (it burned down four buildings!), all Tokaidō Main Line and Tokaidō Shinkansen operations were suspended for five hours around Yurakucho Station until firefighters brought the fire under control.

Edited by Sacto1985
A friend brought to my attention this video by nimo5, seems like lineside cables were damaged by a fire yesterday.

Just like when the Albion Mill went up in flames.  That closed down the north line for a while.

Wacky day friday was yesterday.  Someone found them in front of a train at Cannon Hill.  A truck hit a bridge a Morayfield.  And telemetry went down in Dinmore area.  And since we are having a heatwave,  most track temps are over 51, so wouldn't be surprized of some various types of speed restriction the next few days.

Wow... I was wondering, if JR East (Yamanote) / JR West (Sanyo-Osaka) / JR Central (Tokaido) would take any legal action against the Pachinko Palour operator for causing delays in their trains? 

If the fire caused heat damage to the ballast on the Shinkansen tracks, JR Central may take legal action. It appeared the fire did not damage the Tokaido Main Line and Yamanote Line tracks.

Considering this was the last non highrise block in the whole area, i wonder what will they build there now? Pachinko isn't a too legal business either, so finding someone who can be sued could be quite hard.

Btw: Does anyone know what are they building on top of the nearby Shinbashi station? (it's on google maps, so i don't see the current state or what it is)

From what I read on the Japan Today website, what happened was a major fire broke out at small pachinko parlour in a building right next to the Tokaidō Main LIne/Tokaidō Shinkansen tracks near JR East Yurakucho Station, the first JR East Station west of Tokyo Station on the Yamanote Line. Because of the scale of the fire (it burned down four buildings!), all Tokaidō Main Line and Tokaidō Shinkansen operations were suspended for five hours around Yurakucho Station until firefighters brought the fire under control.

http://youtu.be/aE7ufZWVcro

TestudoToTetsudo

Just curious (as I can't read the signs in the video).  In a situation like this is there any way JR Tokai can (or did they?) turn Shinkansen at Shinagawa or Shin-Yokohama to keep the rest of the system up and running?  The Japan Times article mentions trains being held as far west as Shin-Osaka and passengers stranded in Nagoya.

With the incredible variety of rail transit routing options available to most of the greater Tokyo Metro area's population, I'm sure a huge percentage of passengers ticketed to/from Tokyo could have been able to catch a Shinkansen to/from Shinagawa simply by using a different combination of local transit to/from their ultimate origins/destinations.

From the schedule, starting/finishing a reduced number of trains at Shin-Yokohama and Shinagawa versus closing all service seems possible.  JR Tokai does it with 6am departures every morning (Hikari 93 is a 6am start at Shin-Yokohama while Nozomi 99 is a 6am start at Shinagawa).

The first station from Tokyo that has a crossover switch seems to be Shin-Yokohama, but turning trains, especially shinkansens without cleaning and resupplying them doesn't seem like a japanese thing. Considering the main control cables to the shinkansen control center run under that bridge and right above the fire, they could have been more worried about those than running the trains. High speed rail can't really be operated by proceed on sight.