Freight train tail signs

Matteo_IT

Hello,

I have purchases several N Kato freight wagons...

One package consists in two flat wagons with short containers: enclosed there are two red discs to put in the tail, as tail markers.

The other set consists in a mixed group of freight cars, there is also a black tail car, like an american caboose, with red working lights.

So, my question is: what is the difference between these two types of tail?

I have to use the caboose only for some trains (or years)?

Can somebody explain me?

Many thanks and happy new year everybody!

The two red discs are the modern general use end of train markers, even used on locomotive hauled multiple units and anything that doesn't have working tail lights. In the US, it's modern equivalent is the FRED (flashing rear end device). The guard van tail lights are the classic solution, but the 2 axle guard vans couldn't be used on high speed freight trains, like container trains. Some container trains had guard container cars, where one container was replaced by a guard compartement. However around the end of their service life, they were moved away from the end of the trains, to protect the guards and the red discs were added, later using only the discs since the guards were eliminated. Today, red markers are used where there are no lights (on freight cars) or a unit (emu/dmu) is inoperational (mostly seen on delivery and retired trains). Guard vans almost died out, but they still can be seen on some museum railways and in special freight trains.

The european (continental) practice was similar to the late JNR practice, where the guard van always rode behind the locomotive, while in the UK and the US the guard van was at the back like in the early days of JNR. The european version for signaling was one or two white discs at the front and one or two red discs at the back. The reflective discs can be replaced by lights. (for example the hungarian/swiss standard is 3 white lights on the front, 2 red lights at the back +a single spare red disc hung somewhere even when the lights do work)

Many thanks...

So I use the caboose for old trains and red discs with the container train...

But, if are red discs, I suppose aren't lighted... so by night are they replaced by lights?

In Italy we use fixed red tail lights for EMU and push-pull trains, 24/24 hrs.

Freight and standard hauled coaches are equipped by a red/white zebra panel by day and with two flashing red lamps with red/white zebra face by night or also by day if train runs through tunnels.

This post had me re-watch the night time videos of freight trains I took at Ogaki on my recent trip and I didn't see any tail lights.  The red discs themselves didn't stand out too well in the dark either though they could be reflective in the headlights of a train but by the time you see your headlights reflected in the tail discs of another train or see its tail lights it's a bit late to do anything but pray, if not that the crash isn't too severe then for your disiplinary actions for running a red signal.  It's worth noting that the main purpose of tail lights and discs on trains is not a warning to following trains but to indicate that the train is intact.

• Like 1

According to an article from Wikipedia, caboose was no longer required on freight train from Mar. 14, 1985.

Conductor (or a guard) was boarding on locomotive with motorman after that.  This practice was also terminated on 1986.

I see several freight trains on Musashino line while on commute but all of them just have red rounded plates at the end of car.  They doesn't light.

Unless the practice has changed and I missed it, the red discs are replaced with red lamps at night. During the early morning around Tokyo you can see freights with lamps that have come down from Hokkaido overnight.

All I can say is that on 30th November I watched every freight train that passed through Ogaki from dusk until just after midnight and saw no tail lights, only the red discs.

Edited by westfalen

Yesterday, I saw a tank freight train passing Urawa station having LED tail-end lights on Tohoku line.

I have searched and found that LED tail-end lights are in use on certain freight train which goes to area with snow and/or number of tunnels.  This is to increase the visibility as those ordinary red plates become useless at snowy region  as they may be just covered with snow.

http://ameblo.jp/tohchanne/entry-11328383004.html

And some people trying to make as same...

http://jrw103kei.web.fc2.com/mokei/koki107-sakusei.html

• Like 1

thanks nariichi!

very cool, a project i will have to attempt! i like using the SMD led as the actual led box, just painting it and then poking a small hole for the light to show thru!

now just need a micro charge circuit and a small nimh battery in a container to keep it lit when the power is off.

jeff

now just need a micro charge circuit and a small nimh battery in a container to keep it lit when the power is off.

Or just use a tomix cl controller...

true and then doing camera cars are easier as well. 

i need to dig up the tiny circuit someone did for a fred with a small 3v rechargable battery. fit into about a third of an n scale caboose.

cheers

jeff

should work.  is you have a small watch battery or similar hidden inside a container and the wiring going under the deck of a carriege, then only the light unit and a small amount of wiring will be visable at the back.  say on a grey 107 koki, grey wiring might go unnoticed.