Family problems and getting desperate to move to Japan in the near future

Mr_Alex

For those members who are familiar with me,I have been absent from the forums due to my parents social-withdrawal which is hitting my breaking point,I am now seriously getting concerned for my father and mother who live with me in the same house in New Zealand,what I would like to bring to people's attention is that New Zealand has a serious problem with Youth Unemployment and even Income Disparity is now rampant in New Zealand and also there is a increasing rate of people who are losing touch with reality and even becoming shut-ins (hikikomori)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9182609/NZ-income-gap-at-crisis-level-author

Also another thing is that my parents have shunned communication literally with their sisters and brothers who live in Hong Kong and more cult like by the day,usually when my aunt or uncle or my dad's brother in law ring up during Christmas or new year,my parents would tell me to talk to their family or relatives who ring up on the phone as they rather put work first and talking with other people second or third priority,my mum has a better chance on being stopped and I have given the option to her if I move to Japan after getting my IT Degrees or Bachelor in New Zealand,she will have the chance to move but for my dad its all too late as he has become a total shut it

Alex,

very sorry to hear this. Are there any social services there in NZ that could help with deal with the social withdrawal? I would see if there is anything available as its sounding like its getting to a very bad point. Im sure they have seen this situation happen a lot.

Best of luck with this and getting them help if possible.

Modern culture has lost touch with the subjective side of our humanness. The technology/information age has driven everything to the objective and things like technology and social media, while having the potential to help people make connections, really ends up being more about the self than others in practice, pushes number of communications over quality of communication and mostly driven my making money. The economic culture with constant growth and no value given to the more subjective quality of life is ignored. Its no wonder people are feeling more alienated and loosing touch with reality.

Best wishes,

jeff

Sorry to hear about your family.  As cteno4 mentioned, perhaps you should look into social services or at least get in touch with an organization that can provide referrals, not to mention church organizations, if that is applicable.  The fact that many relatives are abroad/estranged may be an underlying issue.  I suggest you square away your education, and if not solve, at least stabilize, your family situation before making the jump to living abroad (Japan or anywhere else).  Leaving an unstable family situation back home while living abroad may possibly make things worse- it will impact your mental health and hinder your adjustment and enjoyment of living in a foreign country.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2