Jyoshin 7000 type

Kabutoni

The newest train set of Jyoshin is this, the 7000 type. The first new train set since 32 years actually. The train is a consist of only two cars and probably only one being delivered.

IMO it has an odd design for a private railway, but then again, look at the other trains of the Jyoshin Electric Railway... They are all a bit strange... For now the body colour remains the off-factory white base. Really odd, but that's Jyoshin I guess. I think a proper styled livery could bring out the sleek design a bit more.

• Like 1

I find it quite orthodox- the front end has echoes of Seibu with a little Tsukuba Express thrown in.  Mechanically it's bog-standard, down to the DT50-like bogies.  The builder is Niigata Transys, which seems to specialize in these small orders that the bigger makers may not bother with.

I'd be interested to know how they decided between new cars and second-hand.  Several small, private railways use quite a bit of second-hand rolling stock.  Ichibata, Mizushima, and Toyama Chitetsu come to mind.  They seem to get by with it.

Could be a number of factors: existing relationships with builders, or a bigger private railway that provided second-hand stock (Seibu and Tokyu often coming to mind), spare parts supply, employee familiarization with operation of specific types, etc.  I suppose the decision to go with new stock may have something to do with cheaper operating costs and better utilization/availability, which enables older stock to be retired more quickly.

Edited by bikkuri bahn