First 700系 End Car To Be Preserved

In the category "they are placing that train in A museum already!?":

JR Tōkai has decided that one of the 723形 end cars of 700系 pre-production formation C1 (originally C0), 723-9001, will be preserved at the SCMaglev and Railway Park at Nagoya. She will replace car 323-20 of formation J20 of the 300系, what will happen with this car is unknown at this point. Hopefully she'll find a place either at Hamamatsu or at JR West's new museum (would fill the gap nicely) as she is the only 300系 production car still around.

700系 Formation C1 was delivered to JR Tōkai on September 28th 1997 by Kawasaki. She was used for testing untill the first production 700系 formations where delivered in February 1999. On September 28th 1999 she was re designated as formation C1. After running uneventfully for 15 years, she was retired together with formations C2~C5 and with exception of her 723形 was scrapped last October.

Though the 700系 might not be the best looking Shinkansen ever to grace the rails, it has been a successful series in it's own right worthy of preservation. It does feel a bit weird to see such a new train preserved already though.

She'll be placed at the museum on the 2nd of January 2014.

http://jr-central.co.jp/news/release/nws001330.html

http://www.tetsudo.com/event/9445/

Edited by 200系
  • Like 1

The first Duck bill bullet train ~ Like 200系 has mentioned, it isn't the best looking train, and i think there aren't much fans for it too i guess... However, it was really successful in terms of achieving the speed and comfort, yet more affordable to build than its previous ancestor, the 500系. It also became the core fleet of JR Tokai and Sanyo until the N700 came along ~~

Quite sad to see it go to the museum so soon ...

Nice for the kids I think. Though it doesn't look iconic at all. Then again, we might get all fuzzy and nostalgic about it when the whole series goes out of service. I know I won't! xD

Still my favorite and glad it's getting preserved. The lines are very clean on the 700, at the time where someone was still combo thing the curves by hand, its subtle.

Jeff

Now I'm actually wondering of which Shinkansen there are preserved cars and of which not. I know so far there aren't any of the E1 from all retired Shinkansen, but are there more?

Hello Mr Densha,

I pity there isn't E1 in original grey colour.  It was my favourite.  Of course, I own two Tomix 12-car set, prototypically correct.  But I never had the pleasure to ride.