Folks wanted to talk to about high speed trains for extreme transportation show

cteno4

Japan Rail Modelers of Washington DC has been contacted by a London production company that is working on a segment about Japanese trains for a series on "extreme" transportation. They would like to speak to people from around the world about their "extreme" experiences or thoughts on Japanese railways. They are still sorting out exactly what direction they'll go with it, though they are thinking of issues of speed and efficiency. This does not have to be direct experience with the system -- things you've heard, interesting modelling tidbits, etc are also useful to them at this point.

Please contact Sean McDonnell ( sean.mcdonnell@arrowmedia.com ) and he'll be happy to call and talk to you about your experiences.

Figure there would be an interested few here on JNS.

JRM has no affiliation with this production nor detailed information what exactly the show will be or participation will be, just passing it on

Jeff

One man's "extreme" is another man's "normal"  or "so what?".  I get the feeling they're going to include the seemingly de rigueur scene with "pushers" for the "oh wow, that's bizarre Japan for you" effect.  Better to explain the percentage capacity levels of car loads and the criteria involved, as shown in one of those Japanese variety/quiz shows recently- educate, not titillate.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.  Hope someone here can contribute something worthwhile.

I can think of one "extreme" (?) example- in Japan apologies always made for a train being 2 or 3 minutes late.  In the USA (real experience)- a flight is two hours late, and not a peep from any staff (ground CSR's or cabin crew) about being late. Though I admit I got bumped up to first class and real glassware drink service for the 50 min. flight just for being at the right position in the line, the guys behind me got cattle class (my original flight was cancelled after about thirty minutes sitting on the tarmac).

Edited by bikkuri bahn

The conductor taking note of a blown light in a train going through the Seikan Tunnel and an electrician waiting at the door of the coach when the train pulls to a stop at Hakodate with a replacement tube.  That would take weeks to get fixed in most other countries, we only have to report it when four lights are out in one section of a car.

To me it's not the extreme things that make Japanese railways stand out but the little things that their counterparts in western countries can't even be bothered to do.

• Like 2

Toni,

I expect it will be a discovery channel like program, some content but of course (hey its modern culture/media) some flash. Cant hurt to contact them and see what they have to say, if you dont like what you see then you can just beg off. Lots of folks on this list with some very detailed and unique info that might help shape their story some better than just trying to do pop stuff. I liked west's story of the bulb, shows how that sort of culture in the biz will get you service running as well as it does, has to permeate down to that level to be the quality it is.

cheers

jeff