Planning Trip on JR East Pass and a few side trips in November

I'm trying to plan some trips while in Japan would welcome any suggestion and places to go. Will be getting the JR East pass.

Will arrive in NRT on Nov 20th early morning and departing HND on Dec 2nd early evening.

So far I plan the following:

20 Tokyo

21 side trip to Nagano

22 Tokyo

23 Yokohama and concert (try Odakyu 50000 series from Shinjuku- Machida - Shin Yokohama)

24 Tokyo-Morioka-Kakunodate-Akita (stay at Akita)

25 Akita-Hirosaki via Resort Shirakami (stay at Hirosaki)

26 Hirosaki-Aomori (stay at Aomori) (pay train tickets separately)

27 Aomori-Hachinohe (maybe) -Sendai-Matsushima-Tokyo (stay at Tokyo)

28 Tokyo

29 Side trip with JR East not sure where yet! May be Mito via Hitachi

30 Tokyo

01 Tokyo

02 Tokyo and fly

I still have 1 day of JR East pass left and haven't decide yet, would like to hear some suggestions?

Would also welcome any other special (new or special train to try out while in these areas)

Should I try the Narita Express or do a change with Narita Sky Access to Shinjuku? (to say the truth I want to go on both)

There are several train I would like to try out while there

E2, E3 and E4 before they get scrapped!

E5 and E6 is a must! 

Can someone help find out which train are table for what time?

I was wondering if the following possible and can you double check if they are correct:

Aomori - Shin-Aomori 09.21-09.26 (Super Hakucho 20)

Shin-Aomori - Aomori 09.33-09.33 or 09.45-09.52

Aomori - Shin-Aomori 10.04-10.10 (Tsugaru 4) 

What is your opinion? would the train be on time? Can I catch the Shinkansen Hayate 32?

I want to get a timetable for the following:

Super View Odoriko (a short ride to Yokohama and back) trying to squeeze it somewhere with the JR East pass

Chuo Main line so I can try Super Azusa + Azusa + E233 (Shinjuku - Tachikawa - Nakano)

JR Hitachi to try E657 and E653 (morning trip and afternoon back to Mito)

Is it worth going to the JR East Railway Museum in Omiya? If so how long?

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks 

bikkuri bahn
Is it worth going to the JR East Railway Museum in Omiya? If so how long?

Yes.  Try to schedule at least 2 hours at the museum.  Avoid the weekends, it can get swamped.  If you want to avoid the screaming rugrats and anklebiters, the last 2 hours before closing time are OK.

Yes.  Try to schedule at least 2 hours at the museum.  Avoid the weekends, it can get swamped.  If you want to avoid the screaming rugrats and anklebiters, the last 2 hours before closing time are OK.

Thx Bikkuri! I will squeeze the museum in! Might even put it as 1 first thing to do! on 20th morning! Any must see thing?

For the spare day on the pass you could do a trip round the Chiba Pennisula taking in the JR Kururi Line and the Kominato, Isumi and time permitting the Choshi Railways.  A bit of rural Japanese railway atmosphere within easy reach of Tokyo.

When I was in Tokyo in 2012 on a business trip, I had a quick trip on a Super View Odoriko which, going by the amount of body corrossion and patches, may not going to be around for long so I suggest ride one whilst you can. Here's a taster:

post-265-0-19470300-1380904804_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
For the spare day on the pass you could do a trip round the Chiba Pennisula taking in the JR Kururi Line and the Kominato, Isumi and time permitting the Choshi Railways.  A bit of rural Japanese railway atmosphere within easy reach of Tokyo.

Thx for the suggestion, really like the idea! like the trip I went last year in Kyushu when went south of Miyazaki with lots of coastal scenery!

Which station do I connect to from either Ueno or Shinjuku (most likely the place I staying at)?

When I was in Tokyo in 2012 on a business trip, I had a quick trip on a Super View Odoriko which, going by the amount of body corrossion and patches, may not going to be around for long so I suggest ride one whilst you can. Here's a taster:

attachicon.gifTokyo JR_Jun12_54 (1024x768).jpg

Thx for the photo, love those odd trains! If I remember correctly these train around 1990s so may be near there end of life and I agree that I should go on it while its still here! Otherwise I will miss the E1! Got a feeling when I next time go to Tokyo E2 and E3 are all scrapped!

Talking of which I want to take photos of 500 Series Shinkansen before they get scrapped and N700A, do they 500 go to Tokyo anymore? If so what time? I saw one leaving Kokura last year for Shin Osaka! From I heard mainly N700 are use between Osaka and Tokyo.

I haven't been to Tokyo since 2008, how much changed in term of smoothness of travel? I still remember the going on the brand new N700 which only enter into service least then a week! Still loads of people everywhere? like London? It was easy travel last year in Kyushu with the exception Hakata! 

Few remaining, shortened 500 series only run on the Sanyo Shinkansen as Kodama now so you will not see in Tokyo.

Had a day trip to Tokyo whilst on holiday in Japan in April this year - station and local area is crowded but generally Tokyo still easy to get around. Just avoid rush hours.

Hi Jensen!

Firstly, i envy you going to Japan soon! Mine will need to wait till 2015.... 

Anyhow, i'm not so good at planning trips as i haven't been to Japan enough. However, i do wanna say you wouldn't wanna miss these trains on the JR East:

1) Super Azusa E351... The tilting train! I read somewhere they will be scrapping the E351 and replacing with either the E257 or E657 soon, so definitely this train is a MUST take while it last!

2) E2 & E3 .. the first E2 was scrapped... Info here: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/7559-jr-east-rolling-stock-announcements/?p=88017 

That would mean the E2 and E3 will not be around for long. I took the E2 before, it's, well, normal, but you might wanna get a glampse of it before it goes.. The E3 will be interesting, especially E3 Akita since it's November so the autumn leaves look nice in Akita! 

3) E4 - The double decker has news of getting replaced soon so... It's one of the trains i'll really like to try out, since it's double decker and all~ Though i read somewhere the seats on the upper deck ain't so comfortable especially for long distances... 

4) Salon trains? I kinda like the Series 485 Zipangu style: 

As for the 500, i'm not sure the JR East pass can cover that, but it doesn't go to Tokyo. The furthest it goes i think is Shin-Osaka to Hakata, since it's a Kodama service. Here's a very good site for information of what shinakansens will be used on service for the Sanyo and Tokaido lines: http://www.tabi-o-ji.com/shinkansen/schedule/schedule_en.html

Here's the 500 on a random search: http://www.tabi-o-ji.com/shinkansen/schedule/result.php

Service Kodama 744 - 8-car set 500series 

While you're at that, perhaps you can try out the Railstar? It even has cabins on the 8th car which is very popular with passengers! 

Hoped i helped! Cheers! 

nscalestation

Hi Jensen,

The E2's are alive and well, and running on the Nagano / Joetsu Shinkansen lines.  I rode one to Nagano prefecture in July and they appeared to be in as good of shape as they were the first time I rode one in 1999 on the Tohoku Shinkansen line.   Since you are planning on going to Nagano anyway, you should be able to fit in a ride on the E2 no problem.

The E5's and E6's are running on the on the Tohoku Shinkansen line so you may be able to ride one or both of those on your trip to Morioka.

Sounds like you have a really busy schedule planned.

Have a good trip !

Brad

Hi Jr 500 

I feel super excited about this trip! Well there is always more exciting train available to see and ride by 2015 like the E7/W7 which is good looking and promising! Like I said earlier last time went to Tokyo only 2 schedule service for N700 and now its everywhere!

Thx for the info regarding the E2, Then this is a must must before it scrapped as I doubt I'll be going to Tokyo in next few years! 

E4 getting replaced already with what? well another must must! I think the problem for the double deck idea in Japan is their height of their tunnels unlike the Europeans ones! However there is always a compromise, like the French and Swiss down stair is more comfortable as always up stair have better view!

I did a check on the Zipangu, but they only a single run on weekend only between Sendai and Morioka! Would have try and fit it in, if its in summer but winter get dark too early. Otherwise I end up a total rail trip and not enough time visiting places! 

The Rail star was an interesting one agree! I've been on it last year as I've missed the 500 because someone have to got lost after buying some food for a short hop between Hakata and Kokura! :( and no pics as well!

Hi Nscalestation

Nice to hear that the E2 is still in good shape! Good sign for more photos!

How was your trip in July? Any place you would recommend to eat, ride and visit to go?

Yes a busy schedule! Must use the time to fullest to enjoy all those wonderful train and time while in Japan! Its not like I be going there in the next few years and next time I go to Tokyo I might hear N700 getting scrapped or something! 

I wish the UK rail companies would get more new reliable trains more often instead trying to use to there fullest 40-50 years!

I was wondering if the following possible and can you double check if they are correct:

Aomori - Shin-Aomori 09.21-09.26 (Super Hakucho 20)

Shin-Aomori - Aomori 09.33-09.33 or 09.45-09.52

Aomori - Shin-Aomori 10.04-10.10 (Tsugaru 4) 

What is your opinion? would the train be on time? Can I catch the Shinkansen Hayate 32?

I want to get a timetable for the following:

Super View Odoriko (a short ride to Yokohama and back) trying to squeeze it somewhere with the JR East pass

Chuo Main line so I can try Super Azusa + Azusa + E233 (Shinjuku - Tachikawa - Nakano)

JR Hitachi to try E657 and E653 (morning trip and afternoon back to Mito)

For timetable information in English, please use this site: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

All trains in Japan are on time, unless there is an accident or really bad weather. That means that you can plan with quite short connection times. IF something happens, your plans will be spoiled, regardless of how well you planned...

For timetable information in English, please use this site: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

All trains in Japan are on time, unless there is an accident or really bad weather. That means that you can plan with quite short connection times. IF something happens, your plans will be spoiled, regardless of how well you planned...

Hi Kitayama

Thx for the link! 

I agree Japanese trains operation are so punctual to the clock work. Have experienced the good timing several times to amaze me to the point England often have trains that are an hour late! 

As you pointed out my worry is that if I missed the connection I will waste over an hour in the station!

I take trust in the super on time japanese train and give those round the loop train ride a try!